Thread: Clearvue question.

Clearvue question.

I am finally getting around to installing my CV Max I bought a few years ago. I have a pretty typical 3 car garage that is mostly used as a shop. In the back middle of the long wall is a 5x2' area where the water heater used to be. It started dying earlier in the year so I replaced it with a outdoor tankless unit on the side of the garage. Now I am converting this space into a spot for the CV by walling it in.

I got a sweet deal on 8" S&D pipe so my entire layout will be an 8" main with 6" drops. After a bunch of reading it sounded like the best bet is to have 10' of straight pipe connecting into the cyclone before any Wyes, elbows or anything that could make the air not flow as smoothly. From my understanding this is supposed to help with efficiency of the cyclone.

Now that I am getting close to actually mounting the CV it looks like if I do run 10' of straight pipe from the intake it's going to really lower my ceiling clearance in that area. My ceiling is 9.5' so I have some height but not that much. What's your guys thoughts about coming right out of the cyclone with a 45 to get it up towards the ceiling and then another 45 to flatten it out to run along the ceiling? Is that really going to hurt efficiency that much? Thanks.

The inlet is already angled. Straight run to the ceiling, with whatever elbow you need to match that angle at the ceiling. I don't think it's 45. It's less, if I remember correctly. Definitely don't do a 45 right out of the cyclone! I'm not sure what you means by lowering your ceiling clearance. You mean that the pipe is going to be in your way as you walk around? Is THAT why you don't want to do the straight run? If that's the case, I would very much consider locating it somewhere else where it won't be a problem. Most people put it up against a wall, or in a corner, and the initial run is very close to a wall and out of the way.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 10-11-2014 at 6:43 AM.

John, yes the pipe will somewhat be in the way as I walk around. Unfortunately this is the only place I can really mount the CV. The back two corners of the garage are taken already. On has the door to the side yard and one has the sub panel for the house and a cabinet that has all of the networking, CATV and whole home stereo wiring. I'll work on getting it mocked up and see how bad it will be. Thanks

Anyone know where to pickup and 8" sewer and drain PVC 11.25 degree elbow? Not having much luck finding one. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fairbanks View Post
    John, yes the pipe will somewhat be in the way as I walk around. Unfortunately this is the only place I can really mount the CV. The back two corners of the garage are taken already. On has the door to the side yard and one has the sub panel for the house and a cabinet that has all of the networking, CATV and whole home stereo wiring. I'll work on getting it mocked up and see how bad it will be. Thanks
    I struggled with this quite a bit. I finally realized that I got into the sub-panel almost never and mounted in a way that made getting to the sub awkward but, it was preferable to the worse choices for the duct run. I also rotated the blower so that the intake and the filter are on the same side. Installing a DC in an existing environment can rally bring out your creativity.

subpanel-clearance.jpg90-percent-1.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fairbanks View Post
    Anyone know where to pickup and 8" sewer and drain PVC 11.25 degree elbow? Not having much luck finding one. Thanks
    I use 6" PVC and there is enough slop in the fitting to make up 11.5 degrees over a few connections. The worst case scenario with 8" pipe would be to use a belt sander on the pipe and a drum sander on the fitting to slightly change the shape. It doesn't need to seat all the way in, since it is being used for low pressure vacuum. Small leaks are acceptable, but you can also caulk if you are worried.

Steve

Could you not heat the piece of pvc with a heat gun and get it to bend a little. i have bent a piece of exhaust pipe with a torch and it would just kink a little to achieve the proper angle.