Thread: My grandson has an A in woodshop!

My grandson has an A in woodshop!

Wow! What can I say?
    He sure doesn't take after me! LOL!

We went over to my son's place to celebrate my wife's birthday last night and my grandson showed us his "online report card".
    His school has a website parents can go to & track their kids day to day grades and catch and problems early - nice feature.

My grandson has over a 98% average on all the assignments and quizzes.
    I was impressed & proud of him!

He's coming over next weekend to spend the weekend. We'll make sure we get in plenty of shop time!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    That's exciting. Too bad shop isn't a required course any more. It does so much more for a kid than take up time.

Not only are you lucky Rich, but your grandson is even more lucky to go to a school that still offers shop classes. It is truly unfortunate that so many programs have been discontinued as irrelevant and obsolete. The shop teaches so much more than just manual skills and the use of tools. The ones that come to immediate mind are: process planning, safety, visualization, concentration, and patience.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Very nice.Hope ya'll have a wonderful w/end in your shop!

Thanx!

I'm really excited about this. I was afraid my tools were destined to be sold off on CL if anything happened to me. It's nice to know that they will have a home to go to after I'm gone!
    Not that they're anything great - except for a few.
    Anyhow, I'll let him know he can sell whatever he wants to fund the purchase of something better.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

You planning on going somewhere soon Rich?

LOL!
    Hard to say Todd!
    My wife is planning on retiring in December and we were just going over our budget.
    Her eyes sort of lit up a little when I told her how much more she'd get from my life insurance if she waited until I kicked the bucket vs taking it now for the surrender value .

Rich,

I don't know where you're going but it looks like you have a plan the the ultimate location of your tools. Good for you. Mine will most likely be up for grabs like many woodworkers on SawMill Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    He's coming over next weekend to spend the weekend. We'll make sure we get in plenty of shop time!
    My grandfather passed away before I was 10 years old. He was one of those stern, but fair men who grew up living off the land and could make and do anything. If I could spend more time with anyone, it would have been with him.

My fondest childhood memories involve spending time with him out in his shop "making things" and "taking apart things" just for the experience. While my grandmother wasn't thrilled with it, I was allowed to take apart telephones, TVs, you name it, and then try to put them back together. (I honestly don't know if those items came out of the house... which probably would have been the reason grandma was upset!) Of course, these were back in the days when you hand a little kid a pocketknife, axes, dangerous tools, etc and said "Have fun!"

Enjoy time with your grandson - and granddaughters if you have them too!
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    Of course, these were back in the days when you hand a little kid a pocketknife, axes, dangerous tools, etc and said "Have fun!"
    !
    Mike, you'll laugh, however my wife is a Pathfinder Leader (Girl Guides).

Two weeks ago they had their meeting at our house so they could make smores over a fire.

They need a signed permission form now whenever they do anything dangerous like cook over an open fire............The world has changed..............Rod.

Excellent news Rich.

Did you learn anything from him?...............LOL................Please keep encouraging him.

My youngest daughter took shop courses in school, and she has built some of her furniture using my shop.

A couple of months ago she passed her shaper operation and setup test (She had to demonstrate to me how to change knives, setup the fence, stock feeder and make a rebate).

Regards, Rod.

OK,too much to resist,haha.A "pocket knife"....really?

These are about a year ago,G-daughter(4 at the time) had been shooting bows for almost a year by the time these pics were taken.Her dad,my oldest along with all his bros. learned to shoot from diapers as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Schools with woodshop are rare indeed. Be thankful yours has one. The safety issue has forced most to abandon them. My grandson knows that grandpa is always ready to help with a project and we've done several together. Hopefully, he'll have an understanding of some of the tools by the time he grows up and may want to use them. His dad does.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.