Thread: first project in the new house - mud room cabinet

first project in the new house - mud room cabinet

My wife really wanted a mud room area inside the garage entrance and we had a 4' spot just begging for a cabinet.

The outsides are laminated 3/4" hard maple ply for 1.5". All the shelfs and other horizontal pieces are 3/4" hard maple ply. The bench is 4/4 white oak stained to match the stairs and mantle in the house (min wax red oak). The center support is 5/4 or a tad under cherry. All the face framing is hard maple. Bead board is 3/4" pine that is soaked with wood hardner. Added 4 hooks and wrapped it with baseboard all the way around and added crown to make it look built in.

All the joints are dado joints, went 3/8" on all horizontals and 1/8 on the verticles to keep more structural area. The face frames were all pocket holed together, first time with this and it was nice I enjoyed the kreg setup. Also pocket holed the face frame to the cabinet from the outside, top and underside since none are visible at all.

Still have to clear the bench and add the doors to the upper cabinet. They are hard maple rail and stile in a shaker style...flat recessed panel and beaded inside edge of rails and stiles. They will be inset, which if I had to do over would have been full overlay to make it easier.

In total is it 8'x4' and 24" deep. Bench height is around 18.5" and bench depth is 23". Center support is around 11.5" at the deepest (top and bottom). It's all painted to match existing trim as well.

Primmed it with BIN and sanded glass smooth, then foam rolled everything, back brushing the moldings and corners with a foam brush.

It's location doesn't actually allow me to get a picture of the whole thing at once ha.

Just wanted to share!

Brian

ForumRunner_20141011_194128.jpg

Looks real good Brian! Built-ins are fun.

Todd

Nicely done.

Shoes off at the door, you'll have a clean floor.
    Kudos

Very nice.

Thanks! Some other home projects have kept me from finishing yet. Mainly trying to fix the crappy yard the builder left us with

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D Smith View Post
    Mainly trying to fix the crappy yard the builder left us with
    I can commiserate. After our house was buily it was ugly for a short while but, as if by magic, everything begins to blossom and grow. Before you know it you will have forgotten all about the current mess.

Your cabinet looks very attractive and functional. Did you say you still have finishing work to do on it ?

Yep. I still have to put the clear down on the bench, it is currently just stained. And then also finish and add the doors to the upper cabinet.

Nice job !