Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch this video...homemade bandsaw mill

Blog Entries

Watch this video...homemade bandsaw mill

What a hoot. Homemade bandsaw mill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU-Gykz2ADY

Yeah. I've seen a few other of this guy's stuff. He is actually VERY clever.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Pretty cool, actually.

If you watched closely, on the first [smaller] log, there was some hellacious deflection on that blade - an inch, maybe?

The "tires" helped that, plus on the 2d log, the guides were closer to the work - he should have moved them in closer for the 1st log.

All-in-all............I gotta give the guy big props for taking the time to build and mount hinged safety covers for the wheels. That is the LAST thing I would have ever considered doing for a rig like this. Especially the nice green paint job. Hilarious.

I mean - what was he protecting against? Product liability and lawsuits? He should have painted them Safety Yellow

Too bad he did not take the Red Green approach - that would have been a moving carriage, with a stationary saw head, with one idler wheel, and with the drive wheel being the rear wheel of a 1982 F-150 on blocks in the front yard ...................waste of money on the electric motor and the starter for it.................
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I've seen a few of his designs and he is very clever, and I'm sure smarter than most of us on this board!

He's got my respect.

Kent- he figured out the blade drift issue later in the video.

Makes me really appreciate my Woodmizer sawmill.......

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Kent- he figured out the blade drift issue later in the video.
    Oh - I got that bit. I admire the guy's ingenuity.

The safety covers still kill me, though.

Heh-heh-heh..............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Amazing!!! thanks..Smart guy!!
    Jerry

Whenever I see his stuff I envision an individual whotel rarely sleeps.

Nobody ever told that guy "You can't do that" so he does....... Built 2 bandsaws and a 12" planer... Check out his box joint jig for the tablesaw
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I actually bought his screw-advance box joint jig plans, and someday I might get around to building one.
    ~Garth

Blog Entries
    Bought and made his router lift. Tilts and works pretty well. I didn't do as well as he did on the teeth of the lift. Well worth the price

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post

All-in-all............I gotta give the guy big props for taking the time to build and mount hinged safety covers for the wheels. That is the LAST thing I would have ever considered doing for a rig like this. Especially the nice green paint job. Hilarious.

I mean - what was he protecting against? Product liability and lawsuits? He should have painted them Safety Yellow

Too bad he did not take the Red Green approach - that would have been a moving carriage, with a stationary saw head, with one idler wheel, and with the drive wheel being the rear wheel of a 1982 F-150 on blocks in the front yard ...................waste of money on the electric motor and the starter for it.................
    I've watched pretty much all of his videos and I'm pretty sure that this saw was originally a standard shop bandsaw that he build (maybe his first?). For this project, he flipped it onto it's side and built the rest of the mill around it, hence the small cutting capability. I'm pretty sure he painted it to match the rest of his tools and because he used a variety of woods to build it.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Schwee View Post
    For this project, he flipped it onto it's side and built the rest of the mill around it, hence the small cutting capability. I'm pretty sure he painted it to match the rest of his tools and because he used a variety of woods to build it.
    Think I could do that with my MM16??
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

14. I think he was an engineer with RIM "Blackberry". He does some interesting videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Webster View Post
    I think he was an engineer with RIM "Blackberry". He does some interesting videos.
    Yes he was. And yes he does. And his father, now passed away, built the summer camp they still rent out in Canada by hand including milling logs for the lumber on site. Matthias is a schooled engineer, his father was a 'seat of his pants' engineer. Matthias reveres what his father accomplished with grit, hard work and ingenuity and I think his father would feel the same about Matthias' engineering knowledge and curiosity.

It all makes for a very interesting blog.