Thread: What gloves do you use for applying dye?

What gloves do you use for applying dye?

Reason I ask, I had a horrible experience with the typical latex exam gloves. I was finishing my stairs and I had gloves on only because I was on my hands and knees and I noticed hand sweat/oil prints on the sanded areas when gloveless as I moved across the stairs. When I started using gloves to prevent this, I had the worst silicone contamination you could imagine. I think I stripped the stairs 3 times before I figured out it was the gloves!

I have not had a problem using the exam gloves when using dye probably because I don't really touch the wood directly but I think it's a risk.

Thanks

These. Latex-free.

They also make a powder-free version. I have used both. No problem with either when applying dye, stain, gel stain, filler, varnish, shellac, whatever. [I always use WB dye from Transfast powder. Not alcohol, because I do not have spray capability].

http://www.amazon.com/Nitrile-Gloves...nitrile+gloves
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

One of the few things I purchase from Harbor Freight are their thin (3mm, I think), light duty disposable gloves. I really never thought about silicone contamination from my gloves! I've never had a problem with those. I guess I'm just lucky that they happen to carry nitrile gloves instead of latex.

Just use nitrile gloves from HF.
    They won't dissolve.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    Yep, I use my dwindling supply of latex gloves for all sorts of random stuff just to use them up, Nitrile or the heavier butyl rubber gloves when I need something to go further up the arm.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    +1 for nitrile

Don't know about dyes but heard about nitrile gloves from probably the same people on this thread and I won't use latex gloves ever again. They tear so easily. Can reuse nitrile many times over. The HF recommendation is spot on too. I think the HD price was almost double.

+1 Nitrile.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

When you found the silicone contamination, what specific kind of gloves were you using? I can't imagine any reason for either latex or nitrile to contain any silicone, but maybe there is a specific brand or variety to avoid. BTW I also use the nitrile gloves from HF. The thin ones tear fairly easily, so if I'll be doing something aggressive I use the thicker black ones. The rest of the time the blue ones are fine.

nitrile 5-7mm thick, never had a problem with contamination, 5mm rips a little easily though

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Li View Post
    Don't know about dyes but heard about nitrile gloves from probably the same people on this thread and I won't use latex gloves ever again. They tear so easily. Can reuse nitrile many times over. The HF recommendation is spot on too. I think the HD price was almost double.
    I keep a container of baby powder near my HF nitrile gloves. A little puff of powder each time before putting them on helps them come off easier.

Nitrile for sure. Never needed powder for them (put on gloves at least 100 times per day at work, non-powdered nitrile.)
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I've tried HD nitrile gloves and they don't stand up to alcohol. I often use Transtint in DNA, and it goes right through every glove I've tried. Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks

John