Thread: lambs Wool Applicator for Applying ArmrSeal

lambs Wool Applicator for Applying ArmrSeal

Anyone use a lambs applicator like the one below for applying GF ArmrSeal?

http://www.homedepot.com/s/lambs+wool+applicator?NCNI-5

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

It would probably work okay. We used them for decades applying floor finish, but now use synthetic ones. With the lambswool pads, be sure to vacuum them really good to start with. They will shed some hairs no matter what.

What kind of synthetic pads do you use? Where do you get them?

Thanks

George
    George

A blue paper towel works really well for applying Arm-R-Seal to all but very large surfaces. For a big table top, like dining room size, I found that a microfiber cloth works better because it holds more finish so you can cover a larger area before needing to recharge. The lambswool applicator may be useful for similar sized parts, but I think you will find it carries too much finish for smaller or vertical surfaces.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    A blue paper towel works really well for applying Arm-R-Seal to all but very large surfaces. For a big table top, like dining room size, I found that a microfiber cloth works better because it holds more finish so you can cover a larger area before needing to recharge. The lambswool applicator may be useful for similar sized parts, but I think you will find it carries too much finish for smaller or vertical surfaces.

John
    Ditto on the blue shop towel.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have been using a blue shop towel and am getting streaks. What am I doing wrong? I am wiping with the grain and barely applying pressure.

George
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I have been using a blue shop towel and am getting streaks. What am I doing wrong? I am wiping with the grain and barely applying pressure.

George
    I load up the folded paper towel so that I can apply a continuous film from one end of the piece to the other, if possible. I put it on quickly, and move on. Streaks come from trying to apply too thin a layer, leaving blank areas or, most often, from going over what you've already done. Flow it on as uniformly as you can and move on. The finish will self level on it's own in a couple of minutes.

The other cause of streaks is when some areas of the wood absorb more finish than others. Those will go away as you build up the finish.

I recently switched from blue shop towels to microfiber cloth because they hold more finish and allow it to flow on really easily. You may want to give one of those a try.

John

Which product are you using? Satin, Semigloss? Either of these contain flatteners that require mixing and can make wiping a tad tricky.

I think the blue shop towels are the way to go.