Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popular Woodworking

Popular Woodworking

I have not been following the forum for a few day so this may be old news to the group but have you seen the restructuring going on at Popular Woodworking?

http://www.popularwoodworking(dot)com/woodworking-blogs/editors-blog/wish-well

Looks like the people that left are going out on their own. 360woodworking dot com. also on Facebook under the same name.

Replace the (dot) above with just a . Don't think we are allowed to post a direct link to another forum.

Hope the magazine continues and gets better over time. The Popular Woodworking shop is local to me here in Cincinnati and always liked what they were doing for the craft.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Code:
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/editors-blog/wish-well
    Can add a url to your post without creating a link by enclosing with code tags.

Sucks to hear about people being laid off too. I don't see a bright future for a magazine with a staff of two.

FWIW, Megan seems to be handling this with as much class as possible. The parting shot from the trio was not classy, IMHO.

While I agree with you about Megan, I have to say it can be hard to be classy when you have been laid off to pay for the ineptitude of upper, upper management. Not saying this is what happened for sure, but it sure seems like it.
    Paul

I went to 360 and subscribed to their mailing list. I get this email back saying thank you and to follow a link to complete my subscription. The link just takes me back to the same page where I signed up (i.e. no additional information possible). Not a super good start...

Couple of things to clarify.

The 360WoodWorking website is "under construction". The e-mail subscription means you will be notified when it goes live. Please understand that there are only three of us and we were working elsewhere up until one week ago. The site will be launched in a few days with examples of what we intend to do.

We resigned in order to devote all of our time to 360Woodworking. We left steady jobs to pursue what we think is a better way to present the type of content traditionally seen in woodworking magazines. If you read the comments on the PW Editor's blog, we try to clarify what happened a few comments down from the top. We intend to focus our attention on where we're going, and we think there will be an audience for it. There is a podcast online from the Modern Woodworkers Association with about a 45 minute interview with Glen Huey, Chuck Bender and myself that goes into some detail about what we're up to.

Feel free to contact me, Glen or Chuck with any questions or concerns.

Bob Lang

I will subscribe. Do I get a T-shirt or 360 coffee mug? Best of luck, I always enjoy your articles.

Considering the open request for articles from readers, my gut says they're dumping overhead. I have read enough workbench articles. Maybe 360 will focus on intermediate projects.

I'd like to see all sides take the high road, including the Peanut Gallery. Best wishes to all. I like to think there is room to grow the craft and different approaches and champions will be a good thing.

All I've seen is Megan's blog and the comments Mr Lang has posted here (in both today's thread and last week's). I didn't pickup anything that seemed unreasonable or "sour" in any of those places. Maybe I missed something?

My $0.02, FWIW - We've had several threads over the last few months about the decreasing quality/content in WW mags. I agree - every mag I pick up seems stale - Wood, FWW, PWW, etc. But I don't begrudge the companies trying to find a way to balance everything and still turn a profit. IMO, they haven't found a successful new paradigm yet or there'd be subscribers. But I say, give PWW a chance and maybe they'll be the first to find it. (Dear Publishers: I'll gladly pay significantly more money for a subscription that gives me more and better content. You don't have to hold the price low and reduce content to make ends meet. That's why I stopped buying today's product. Why not try a high quality boutique magazine priced such that it can survive with fewer subscribers?)

Mr. Lang, I wish you and your partners great success. I look forward to seeing your new approach and hope you teach all of us a thing or two about using media successfully in the 21st century!

(OK. Rant over now.)

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-13-2014 at 5:16 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Woodwork met the description you just gave. It didn't make it. There has been so much written and so many plans shown, it's difficult to have fresh material.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Woodwork met the description you just gave. It didn't make it. There has been so much written and so many plans shown, it's difficult to have fresh material.
    And that is the long and the short of it folks. FWW started doing what they called "revisits" as far back as the '90's; the well was running dry even then.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

I agree that the mags seem a bit stale but frankly, on the internet, I can find all sorts of new and interesting ideas and projects. What I like to see are tool reviews - not the surface skimming ones we see so often but in depth ones where they build something with the new tool and comment on how it went. Or tool shootouts. The guy that did the track saw shoot out is a perfect example. I'd also pay to see how a master builds something or teaches about a specific technique. Sort of "apprenticeship" features. FWW probably does the best

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Barrett View Post
    I'd also pay to see how a master builds something or teaches about a specific technique. Sort of "apprenticeship" features. FWW probably does the best
    I agree. I wish theyd do a lot more of it. Id subscribe again.

Lowell, Ive never seen a copy of Woodwork. Thanks for that tip - Im going to look for some old issues.

Fred

I'm sitting here looking at stacks and stacks of FWW and Popular Woodworking and others. I can never find anything in them. I cancelled all mag subscriptions and now just pay for FWW online access. That is great because I can get to everything and can search for it easily. The videos are also good. The Popular Woodworking site is not well designed in comparison.

~mark