Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

13 Oct 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
    I don't have much to post this week. I've spent a lot of the past weekend and week with the day job stuff as well as family issues. The LOML and I are fine as well as us and the MIL who lives with us. I truly struggle with some choices my kids make and I won't and can't go into it here. I'm fairly transparent to many people and at many places but I just can't post what my heart is hurting about today. I know that we all struggle with various things in life and some more than others. Maybe is the journey that I'm to be more familiar with so that I may be able to help other people going through similar situations, I don't know but I'm sure time will tell.

Let me hear what YOU got done this past weekend....I'd really love to hear it.

That's all from me and the best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, don't need to know the issues, but will just say this... it is best most of the time to let the kids suffer the natural consequences for their decisions, than to try to remove the consequences. It is really hard to do sometimes, but the kids learn more and quicker that way. Many of us have been there. My prayers go out for you.

As for weekend accomplishments, repaired/rebuilt a wood bed that needed some attention

Dennis, your friends stand behind you for support.

As to my weekend, no "in shop" time, but I did work on some design and cost things for two new tack trunk commissions after meeting with one of the clients on Saturday morning before I headed to the barn for my riding lesson and to watch my daughter's lesson. The rest of Saturday involved making fresh pasta and other prep work for that evening's meal. Sunday was an IEA (Interscholastic Equestrian Association) horse show day (150+ riders) and I was there from oh-dark-early until mid-afternoon as I was tasked with warming up horses and supporting my daughter's rides. (she took a third in one of her two classes) The rest of Sunday was as mentioned...designing, drawing and figuring.

Said Saturday evening meal...chicken piccata with fresh pasta.

A common view for me on Sunday...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Had a very productive weekend in the shop. Assembled the first of 12 raised panel doors (my first production units - previous has only been prototypes) for my den built ins. Ended up getting 7 of 12 clamped up so I would be able to finish and maybe install this weekend, but I have a class with Frank Klausz at Highland Hardware on Sunday so that should be fun. Also got stock milled up for some christmas projects as well as got some rails and stiles rough milled for some doors for a coworker.

All in all a fun time.

FYI, I used the Sommerfeld raised panel set and it worked very well. I did have an issue with following the instructions and having my panels 1/4" too long (better than too short). I will plan to contact Marc to see what was going on, but he had take stile length less 4". At that dimension, the panels were clearly 1/4" too long.

Here is a pic of first doors "mocked" up on the cabinet...

IMAG1265.jpg

Todd

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dennis, your friends stand behind you for support.
    Dennis, As Jim said, we support you all the way. Only you can define your own path.

LOML and I worked on some of the logistics and preparations for our upcoming trip. She spent most of Saturday helping prepare materials for the Gem, Mineral and Silversmithing society. I worked on straightening the knife blank, drilling holes in the tang, and starting the bevel. When I was drilling on the Damasquene steel the Bit would hit a harder spot and "pop". Very interesting. I spent 3 hours filing the bevel on the Yanagiba. I may be about 1/3 to 1/2 complete. Definitely going all Neander on this build. My thumbs and shoulder were pretty sore afterwards.

I need to get the bevel 80-85% finished before the heat treatment cycle.
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 10-13-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Hiking in the Catskills. Great weather on Sunday.

IMG_2487.jpgIMG_2475.jpgIMG_2462.jpg

Got a lot of little things done around the house, including mowing the lawn and unpacking/sorting some boxes full of books and desk junk, deciding what to keep and what to donate. 8 months later, still unpacking.
    Shopwise, I finished getting all my HF blast gates installed, and made good progress on making a chip chute for my no-name jointer using some really thin plywood (aka: potato chip!) I had on hand. Still need to seal up the gaps in the table saw though - I'd guess that only about 50% of the dust is being collected with the open back and gaps under the top. I also made a quick and dirty bracket so I can hang my miter gauge on the side of my table saw because I was tired of knocking it off the table next to my saw, and added some leveling screws to my zero clearance insert so that it fit a little tighter. Little improvements, but they added up so I felt like I actually made some progress towards a usable shop.
    ~Garth

Well, something caused a squirrel to chew-up some trim on my garage. Not much, and it is old trim I had planned on replacing come this next spring, so I got out the primer and paint and at least got a coat of finish on it for some protection through the winter and hopefully dissuade the beast from chewing on it any more.

And as long as I had the materials at my disposal, I tossed some paint on the first-floor wood (exposed). Mostly just the downstairs windows.

Now I've decided I'd like to try replacing three windows in the kitchen. They are on the north side of the house, the house is almost 65, the wood has seen better days, yada yada yada. So I looked at the Andersen website for information on Windows. I guess I have to go to a Home Depot store to get some pricing.

So this next spring I plan on replacing at least three windows and the trim around my front door, and install a new side entry door.

Hi Dennis, for some of us it was Thanksgiving so we had family and friends over for turkey, ham etc.

I ate too much, (I think I say that every year).

I also spent a day at Felder Ontario setting up an FB510 bandsaw with the new ceramic guides and making veneer, bridle joints and a couple of dovetails on it in preparation for the seminar I'm hosting there next Saturday.

I worked a bit on a change table for a friend of my oldest daughter, and cleaned up the shop.

It was a great weekend..........Rod.