Thread: Festool Kapex and Lion Trimmer

Festool Kapex and Lion Trimmer

I still use my Lion Trimmer (bought new 35 or so years ago) "all the time" to ensure tight square joints in hardwood ... especially any sort of "frame" where I expect to assemble with Hoffmann dovetails. I do use the Hoffmann/Morso notcher for the stiles. Question, I'm considering upgrading my miter primarily because I just can't get the dust to an acceptable level. So I'm considering the Kapex and am curious if the cut is good enough to get rid of the LT - I just can't believe it will be. Does anyone still use a Lion Trimmer or shooting board?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I havent used a lion trimmer before but I cant see the need for it if you have a Kapex. The cut quality is much better than any other saw ive used and its more than just a sharp blade. I used to have a cheap craftsman saw with a very nice forrest chopmaster 80 tooth blade, although the cuts were smooth they were not accurate or consistent. Most people (myself included) are quite happy with the standard 60 tooth blade that comes with the Kapex but you could also get a 80 tooth blade that will give you a slightly smoother finish.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 10-14-2014 at 2:53 PM. Reason: Removed forum link per TOS

A high end miter saw like the Kapex (with a great blade installed) will certainly give you great cuts with a lot of precision and quality. But that Lion trimmer is still a valuable accessory for very precise joinery for things like picture frames...because of the way it works by slicing, rather than cutting with a spinning blade. I personally wouldn't abandon the Lion, but that's me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A high end miter saw like the Kapex (with a great blade installed) will certainly give you great cuts with a lot of precision and quality. But that Lion trimmer is still a valuable accessory for very precise joinery for things like picture frames...because of the way it works by slicing, rather than cutting with a spinning blade. I personally wouldn't abandon the Lion, but that's me.
    +1
    As good as festool is I think what you will find Jim is the trimmer will kill any contest in mitering finished dark stained maple crown molding
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 10-13-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    jack
    English machines

I love my Kapex but the Lion Trimmer is such a cool old tool that I'd keep it if owned both.

I pull the Lion trimmer out once a year to cut small moldings like sticking used to hold glass in a door, otherwise it collects dust.
    A question I have Bill, if you have the Hoffman notcher, isn't there a setting to notch off the corners of the rails? I always wanted a Hoffman/Morso for beaded face frames.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Werkheiser View Post
    I pull the Lion trimmer out once a year to cut small moldings like sticking used to hold glass in a door, otherwise it collects dust.
    A question I have Bill, if you have the Hoffman notcher, isn't there a setting to notch off the corners of the rails? I always wanted a Hoffman/Morso for beaded face frames.
    David
    Depends on the model and blades installed. I use one for french mitering cabinet doors with inside profiles like beads, where you can't do a normal cope.
    JR

I've had the Lion Trimmer for at least 15 years but use it rarely. I have a Bosch MS with a Forrest Chopmaster blade that does an excellent job and is part of the reason the LT is rarely used. Still, I keep the LT because I do bring it out occasionally. It doesn't take up much room and whatever I could get selling it wouldn't be enough to purchase anything I really need. So I keep it and let it collect dust until that time comes when I really need it.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    I use ... with inside profiles like beads, where you can't do a normal cope.
    As do I, readjusting for "larger" cuts while feasible, is not practical ... with the Hoffmann setup. The Lion does that nicely. Fact is - no matter what miter I get - I'd continue to use the Lion.

I've got first dibs on your Lion Trimmer!!!!!!!!!
    ME_ME_ME_ME_ME!!!
    Over here!!!

(that's only if it's a real authentic Pootatuck made in the USA)

Heck, I'll only charge you triple to get it back when you come crying to me later on how you regret getting rid of it.. .

Seriously - - you better spend some time online searching for a Lion Trimmer and see what people think of them/how much they regret getting rid of one.
    The real Pootatuck isn't made any more & the Chinese knock offs are held is the same high regard as the black smith crowd holds an "anvil shaped object".
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I own a Pootatuck Lion Trimmer thats made in the USA and I wouldn't part with it. I've never seen a blade that can cut a miter as smooth or as accurate.

The Lion trimmer is definitely a one trick pony, but no other pony, including the Kapex, will ever do that trick better.

^^^ "Like".........
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...