Thread: Hog hunting on East Coast

Hog hunting on East Coast

My son, grandson and I went from the Wash. DC area to the very south of South Carolina to go Hog Hunting at a Hunt Club. Cost enough, and the gas wasn't cheap either. We spent 3 days, morning and evening, in various, pretty nice tree stands, but didn't even see a Hog. Yes, it rained there a bunch during the three days, but there were some dry spells too. The guide was beside himself because he couldn't place us in at least one site where we at least saw one of the critters.

My sons and I would like to give it one more shot, pun intended. Any East Coast woodworker's who can give a recommendation about a Hunt Club, wild life area, or such, that they know of for certain, that has a GREAT reputation for at least giving the hunters at least a glimpse of Hogs, would be very welcomed. The LOMLs added up the cost of the last trip, and 0 for 2 would not go over real well. We took the recommendation of the last place from the net. I'm now wary of advertising, but would trust the people I've trusted for good information for years...Creekers.

BTW, my LOML makes great pulled pork.

Don M
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

try the club again and maybe this time you will be lucky

Fool me once... as the saying goes. Or, been there, done that. We think a different place is indicated. You may be right, but we're not willing to have the LOMLs on us if we come back again empty handed. The repercussions from that would be unbelievable. Think about it, we would be dead meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    Fool me once... as the saying goes. Or, been there, done that. We think a different place is indicated. You may be right, but we're not willing to have the LOMLs on us if we come back again empty handed. The repercussions from that would be unbelievable. Think about it, we would be dead meat.
    good luck at the new salt lick

I could probably find you a few locals who bring in some hogs to butcher each year. I can only assume they would be more than happy to charge you to sit in the hay loft of their barn and pop the hogs as they run them in. It'd be guarantee'd that you'd knock several down and probably leave with some bacon to boot.

These guys come thru just about every night stealing the water I put out for the birds and rabbits.IMGP0002.jpgIMGP0012.jpgyour welcome to em
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Don,

Never been there, but you might want to check out this place.

http://www.moreespreserve.com/
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

That's a bummer. Here in Central/East TX, feral hogs are pretty much a gimme. Not sure how it works in other areas but here, it's just staking out a wtaer hole from a blind at night. They even hunt them from helicopters with AR-15 type rifles. Hope you get a second go at it.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Thanks for the input people! Will definitely look into the Moree's preserve, that looks promising. The compound bow hunter they show in their video put an arrow into the side of a hog in an area that in my estimation (years as a traditional bow hunter) wouldn't do a thing to a hog. The guide we had at the Hunt Club said he has skinned several hogs and found arrows imbedded in them. Other hogs hunters I've talked to concur. I'm inclined to think that decent sized hogs require centerfire weapons rather than an arrow to do the job properly. That Hog hunt I went on was with a hunting setup type AR15 (bull barrel, etc.) using special ammo designed for medium size game like Hogs. The guide said several hunters had used the same AR15 setup to take hogs with what I had at that time. Since then I've acquired a used (barely, if at all, from what I can tell) Marlin 336, 30-30 at a great price. With the right ammo it's very accurate at 100 yards (1 1/2" pattern).

We have relatives in Texas and know about the hogs there. Our relative there has a cooker and does a great job of it. He makes jerky that can't be beat. Just a little far to go for a hog, but tempting. It would be one heck of a long drive or a flight.

Bert in Arizona shouldn't have responded. That's sooooo tempting! But sooooo far. I know about animals stealing your bird feed. I have the Eastern Grey Squirrel to contend with. I have had to resort to all kinds of tricks and devices to keep them from my song bird and other feeders. But thanks for the offer. I have a dear friend in Nebraska who has a farm that she wants cleared of deer too. They eat a lot of her crop and my sons and I are always invited to go there to help out with the deer population. Again, a little far to drive or fly. The LOMLs add up the $$$ it costs for such a trip and give us the accountants "green visor" look when we talk about it. But we're determined to give this another go and hopefully bring home the bacon.

Thanks again for the input all.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    That's a bummer. Here in Central/East TX, feral hogs are pretty much a gimme. Not sure how it works in other areas but here, it's just staking out a wtaer hole from a blind at night. They even hunt them from helicopters with AR-15 type rifles. Hope you get a second go at it.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    +1 here in Oklahoma

Can you believe that there are people who actually get paid to shoot ferral pigs out of a helicopter (and paid very well)?

Attached is a picture of my girls this past weekend cleaning up a boar we took near Fort Sill, OK (by conventional means, not by helicopter).
    Attached Images Attached Images

A local guy told me once: "If a feral hog produces twelve young in one litter, thirteen survive".

Looks like this thread is very timely...

10710674_821136091272358_6744478502614637218_n.jpg

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Now those are girls I need to meet up with my grandson in a couple years. He uses a .257 Roberts, good starter rifle. Here is a shot he made at a Hog target at 100 yards getting ready for our busted hunt. We have been told that a shot just behind the ear is a good place on a boar. My wife reminded me that my Texas relative makes jerky out of venison not pork. Yes, I knew that. His pulled pork equals my wife's which is really good.

Oklahoma and Texas are still a little far to drive or fly to. But still tempting.

20140419_084021.jpg20140412_120940.jpg

If it is too-for to drive to Texas to hunt then you could move west

Never been to this place but have heard good things about it. Check out http://www.redblufflodge.com/
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Thanks Joe, that's drivable thus a doable site. Will check it out.

Don M