Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Call from "Windows"

Call from "Windows"

I just rcv'd a call from Microsoft Windows. They kindly let me know my pc was slow and had viruses!
    Has anyone else rcv'd such call? The kind man from India had me do some things to my keyboard so that he could "take over" my pc and fix all my problems!
    I did as he instructed---several times----- and he somehow could not believe he could not "fix" things.

I guess there are not a lot of folks running Windows 3:11 for work groups?? I don't know why he hung up on me.

Well anyway I had some fun.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Had one of these fellows occasionally calling my dad -- who does not own a computer!

My dad finds these type calls very upsetting for some reason. It would wreck his whole day.

One day while I was visiting, the "Windows" guy called. I answered the phone, and told him how delighted I was that he had called, as my (non-existent) computer was acting very strangely. I then told him symptoms and error messages from every blue screen of death I could recall from memory. I followed all of his directions, interrupting him every few minutes to let my "computer" reboot. Then we would start again from scratch.

I kept him on the phone for about 45 minutes. When he figured out I was jerking him around, he got very, very angry, and used some not-nice words. I reminded him that he had called me, and could have hung up at any time. He was not amused.

My dad was at first befuddled, but then found it quite funny. I told him that that particular fellow would never call back, and so far he hasn't.

I own a computer shop in the Milwaukee area, and you guys would be stunned by the # of people that fall for this. And it isn't just PC's, it is Macs, too.

I have had three recently. I ask them to put someone on the line that speaks English. The persist and so do I. They eventually hang up and I get a few moments of giggles.

I tell them I have Linux on my computer (the truth.) They insist that exactly the same problems plague Linux machines. And they get really really angry when I laugh at them.
    Paul

Twice in one night, 9:30 and 11:10PM. Very annoying, and if you are going to do scams, at least use someone that speaks understandable English.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I feel left out. Nobody has ever called me.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Post your phone number.

They don't call me for computer problems either but I get enough from Westjet to make up for it.

will you post your phone number ?

Sure. Just like some of the scam calls, it's 000-000-0000
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    I got one just a couple of days ago. When he said "I'm from Microsoft Windows" I said "No you're not" and hung up.

The really sad thing is that there are a lot of people out there who fall for this gig...and end up losing money because of it. Especially the elderly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not sure why, but they hang up as soon as they here my voice... can't have any fun with them anymore!

I'm now using nomorobo.com to screen "known" robo calls and haven't had to answer a call from "Windows" in some time now. You have to be on phone service that supports certain features to use it, but if you are, it cuts out nearly all of the calls like these that are either scams or others blatantly ignoring the do-not-call lists.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...