Thread: What do you make of this oil?

What do you make of this oil?

I have had a 15" Grizzly planer for about 18 months, but haven't used it a great deal. A month ago I noticed some oil on the floor, but can't say for sure how long it has been there. I moved the planer and the picture shows the only oil. The only maintenance I have done on it was to oil the feed roller bushings.
    What do you make of it?
    oil.jpg

Blog Entries
    Leaking from the drain plug. Mine does it too despite trying teflon tape. I think I will try a new plug of some sort. You did change the oil at about 20 hours of operation per the manual, yes? this removes any last bits of 'stuff' or any metal that gets 'liquid honed' away during initial run times.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Or, it could be from the gasket. Mine leaks like that. Delta wants so much for the gasket, I just clean it up and refill when I drag it out to use it. I use a Dewalt 735 for everyday use and the 15" for heavy duty work. I was told that you can buy gasket paper in sheets and make your own which I plan to do...someday.
    Dan

I had an "oil leak" on a couple of my Grizzly machines that looked very similar to the one in your picture. In my case it turned out to be some residual "grease" used to protect the machine during shipping that I had failed to locate and remove. I found quite a bit of this "grease" hiding inside the base cabinets on and around the motor mount and even on the inside walls of the cabinet. Warm, summer temperatures in my garage shop had caused some of the "grease" to liquify and drip onto the floor. I spent some time thoroughly cleaning every speck of "grease" from inside the base cabinet and have not had an "oil leak" since. Just a thought.

No, I didn't know about the oil change after 20 hours. They should make that notice a bit more prominent. Did it today; haven't used it that much, so I am probably not too much past 20 hours. Thanks for pointing it out.

There were drips of oil on the left side of the gear box; if it were the plug I would expect to see them on the right side. But comparing the amount of oil that must have leaked compared to the amount that come out of it, it can't be too serious too serious. I will watch it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    There were drips of oil on the left side of the gear box;
    Ah, sorry about that. From the pic I just recognized the base frame. Mine leaked from the plug. The case itself shouldn't leak (thank you captain obvious ) and you can of course, torque up on the bolts but, don't go crazy. The oil fill and drain on these planers (everyone's version) is just a pain. It really wouldn't take that much to make it better.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Leaking from the drain plug. Mine does it too despite trying teflon tape. I think I will try a new plug of some sort.
    Teflon tape is not a thread sealant. It is a thread lubricant which may allow you to tighten a pipe fitting so it doesn't leak. If you want a leak proof seal get some Loctite Pipe Sealant with Teflon (PST) It is a true pipe sealant and it won't leak.31gh332BfnL.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute