Thread: Video clip Chainsaw and bowl blank prep

Video clip Chainsaw and bowl blank prep

Well, it has been a bit slow, so here is another clip from me. I should have a bandsaw one up soon as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3s6aN9REIY

robo hippy

Great video Robo. I bought a chainsaw a month ago and was very excited to get it home. I go out to the pile and all of a sudden it dawned on me, how the heck do I cut this thing. LOL. I knew enough to remove the pith and thats about it. I have saved your video, will re-watch it and apply your techniques. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I got nervous watching you use a chainsaw without a face shield, chaps and a sturdy pair of boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Turbett View Post
    I got nervous watching you use a chainsaw without a face shield, chaps and a sturdy pair of boots.
    Yeah , post all the rest of your videos before you do that again.

Just kidding!!!!

Thanks very much for all the videos you post and all the advice here too. I for one really appreciate it!

If I was cutting out in the woods, on uneven surfaces, falling trees, and with all sorts of brush around, I would wear more protection. For sure necessary out there. On flat ground, with no obstructions, not as necessary. I am in shorts all year round, well except for last winter when it actually got down below 0 here for a few days.

robo hippy

6. Quote Originally Posted by Roy Turbett View Post
    Very much Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    If I was cutting out in the woods, on uneven surfaces, falling trees, and with all sorts of brush around, I would wear more protection. For sure necessary out there. On flat ground, with no obstructions, not as necessary. I am in shorts all year round, well except for last winter when it actually got down below 0 here for a few days.

robo hippy
    I don't know Reed, but showing legs like that maybe long pants would be better option? LOL Great job on the video. Always learn something from them. You are a great contributor.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Another great video Reed. If you don't mind, I'll be showing this at our next club meeting. (Along with a couple of other related shorts). Down here in Florida, most of the attendees will be dressed about like you were, except in Tees rather than turning smocks.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post

robo hippy
    If you're going to teach, teach safety first! You seem to forget that many of your viewers are new to woodturning and chainsaws and are accidents waiting to happen. I'd be curious to know how many novices forget your instructions on how to avoid a kickback between the time they watch your video and use a chainsaw for the first time. Or how many forget which side to position the bar on when cutting the corners off of a blank. Or how many will assume that a chain never breaks. etc. etc. etc. Take the video down and do it right!

Thanks for a great video Reed.
    Several tips there that should help me do better work when cutting blanks.