Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combined Mode Failure

Combined Mode Failure

I am trying to engrave/cut a file consisting of two parts on my Epilog Mini 24. (For those of you keeping score, this is the same file that I was trying to get to work with color mapping.) The first part is a combination of raster engraving, and vector engraved outlines. The second part is vector cutting of game tiles engraved by the first file. I am having a problem with the first file. The engraving looks perfect, but the vector outlines are offset from the engraved areas. The outlines offset randomly in the x and y directions, and they do not offset consistently from job to job.

I have attached a picture of two failed attempts at the same file. The file was not altered between runs, but the laser was rebooted. As you can see, the outlines surrounding the boat and text are offset in different directions between runs. The dark line on the right tile is a failed attempt at running the second file (vector cutting) on the first failed engraving attempt. As you can see, the cutting file is even farther offset despite the "reset" button being pressed between runs. Before attempting this file, I ran a job consisting of only one game tile, and the outlines matched the engraving perfectly. I would really like a solution before I try to run another full job because the engraving alone takes over 40 minutes. I've sent this same problem to Epilog tech support, but I figured I'd get the SMC'rs working on it too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GWeike LG500, 60W
    Epilog Mini 24, 40W

what version of RDCAM are you using If you could post the RDL file I could try it and see what I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    what version of RDCAM are you using If you could post the RDL file I could try it and see what I get.
    I appreciate the offer Jerome, but I'm using CorelDraw and the Epilog driver...not RDCam.
    GWeike LG500, 60W
    Epilog Mini 24, 40W

If you can, try running it on your other laser, that will at least tell you if it is the file or the laser.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

I didn't read the last thread but you should really post the file. Save it as an early version Corel file and an EPS and post it. Also post a screen shot of your settings in the Epilog print driver.

Also, is there anything we should know about the machine? Was it purchased in working condition?
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Typically, positioning errors would be related to the encoder. Something is not repeating in the signal for the position. Can you try swapping the encoder cable? It's a 3 pin wire/connector, if I remember right. I think it only uses 2 of the wires, so you can flip it around and it'll be using 1 different wire. That's a common troubleshooting technique for that, from Epilog.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

A few things I try, Clean the encoder strip and reader, switch the white ribbon cable to reverse positions
    and check the x-axis gear for build up. I use a pin or toothpick to clean the gear if that's necessary.

Sometimes the encoder reader will get a piece of debris or hair stuck in it that will cause a misread.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

The file is attached. Disclaimer: this is a board game that I do not own the rights to. I got the original file for this from Thingiverse, and I'm trying to make a copy for my friend who is super into board games. He already owns the real game, and I'm not profiting from making this for him.

I ran another test today, and I now realize that it is only the y-axis that is getting offset. It appeared as if both the x and y were offset because some of the shapes are angled. I think I see the encoder cable that you guys are talking about, but it isn't a reversible cable (it's keyed to only go in one direction). I also popped the cover off the y-axis encoder and cleaned the disc with alcohol. I have checked all the gears and idler pulleys, and everything is tight but no too tight.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    GWeike LG500, 60W
    Epilog Mini 24, 40W

I don't know if its my machine or the file, but I cant open it and I'm running x5.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Opened in X6 fine.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Hi Dan. I can open your file in X6 and I don't see any obvious errors. Would you save your print settings into a .dat file and upload it and I'll give it a shot on my Mini. I can also take a look at your engrave by colors settings from your other post and see if anything is off with that.

Have you tried engraving any other sections of this graphic? While I don't think this should cause a problem, the "wheat 2:1" section has SVG attributes tied to their paths. Maybe that is what is throwing things off. I doubt it, but it's worth trying selecting something that is only a curve such as the ship in the wheat section.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

My settings file is attached (had to change the .DAT to .TXT to get it to upload). The picture that I posted before was just a small section. Both of those boards are the full 12" square file. So yes, I've tried all of the geometry in the file I posted. The ships and text were just a good example because they were offset in 2 different directions and near the side of the board.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    GWeike LG500, 60W
    Epilog Mini 24, 40W

I blew up the photos an noticed an anomoly-- not only are the impressions not lining up vertically, the alignment seems to change horizontally during the engraving, and it also seem random...

In the left pic, I noticed that the vertical offset on the LEFT side is different than the offset on the RIGHT side- in this case, the offset is greater on the right side--

Now, on the right side, the lettering shading is so faint it's hard to make out, but the boat sail shows up well, and now, the LEFT side offset is greater that the RIGHT side.

Now, I don't know if this is happening during rastering or vectoring, or whether it's a mechanical issue (loose belt pulley set screw?) or electric (encoder, etc)... If it were only a vertical offset issue, the horizontal placements should match from side to side, and these dont--
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 10-16-2014 at 6:42 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wilhelm View Post
    My settings file is attached (had to change the .DAT to .TXT to get it to upload). The picture that I posted before was just a small section. Both of those boards are the full 12" square file. So yes, I've tried all of the geometry in the file I posted. The ships and text were just a good example because they were offset in 2 different directions and near the side of the board.
    Looking at the dat/txt file, I don't see any color mapping set up. I only see it set with a Combined Job with 60/100 Raster and 70/60/2500 Vector. While this does not solve the mis-alignment issue, if this was the file you were using for color mapping, I can see why it's not working. :-)

Based on the 3 colors you are using, I created a color mapped file for you. I input some guestimate data for wood using red as a deep vector, green as light vector and blue as a raster. You can modify the speed & power settings to suit your material and give that a try.

As for doing a test engraving, I tested the top left section (wheat & boat) using my ColorMapping.dat file and it raster & vector engraved fine.
    ColorMapped.txt
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Mike, that isn't the set up I was using to do color mapping. I split the file into the engraving+vector outlines and cutting. I seriously doubt that using the original file with color mapping is going to solve my offset problem since it appears to be hardware related. Once I get this issue sorted out, I might try the color mapping again.
    GWeike LG500, 60W
    Epilog Mini 24, 40W