Thread: Help with Finishing a Bar Top

Help with Finishing a Bar Top

Hello,

Looking for some help on finishes. I've built a bar top out of white oak T&G flooring and I'm looking into the various types of finishes. I've decided I don't want to go with an epoxy type finish which basically leaves polyurethane as the option. What type would be a good one to go with? I see people talking about spar urethane, water and oil polyurethanes, roll on, wipe on, brush on, as well as varnishes and oil finishes. I don't plan on staining the wood so I want something that is going to bring out the natural characteristics and beauty of the wood while protecting the top. This bar will be in my basement so it's not going to get the abuse of a commercial bar if that matters.

Thanks for any help and advise you'd like to share.

Steve,

waterlox would be a good finish for it. its is a phenolic resin varnish which would be a much better choice than poly for a bar top. there are some other good finishes out there if you look for them. are you looking for oil, solvent or waterborne? belhens rock hard table top was supposed to be another good one. how will you be applying the finish wiping, brushing, spraying, etc.?

Behlen's Rock hard is now a POLY yuck! Waterlox is a better choice. Spar and marine varnishes are a very poor choice... they are less waterproof and much softer.+
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks Dave and Scott, great info on what to avoid. I'm going to show my inexperience in working with finishes by stating I know what I want, but I don't know which finish will give me that. I can apply a finish any way required, brush, wipe, roll, etc. except for spraying, don't have the setup for spraying. If I had to pick I'd say brushing would be my preference only because that's a method I use most often, but I'm not adverse to learning a new method. Also, I'm not tied to a specific type that is oil vs water based, I'll work with whatever gives a professional look and the necessary protection.

Thanks for the help and advice
    Steve