Thread: Saw Stop Opinion Needed...

Saw Stop Opinion Needed...

I am looking at a slightly used Contractor Style SS with stamped wings and a 36" fence. I'm a little unsure if it is an upgrade to my Craftsman hybrid "zip code" saw with cast wings and a Vega Pro 40" fence. Anybody with the contractor version have any words of wisdom? What say the rest of the group? Would you make the move? I only have room for 1 saw...
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

It's an upgrade in safety for sure, and that's the main reason people buy a Sawstop to begin with.

Are you asking from a functional standpoint more than safety?

I guess I am looking at more of the functional standpoint versus the safety. That in itself is a given. I'm just not sure of the side by side comparison. I think my craftsman is probably heavier and hence a little more vibration free. I've never had the opportunity to cut anything on a SS.
    Andy Kertesz

I have the PCS versions and watched the comments on the contractor version. What I have read is all positive except for the price being a lot higher than a standard contractor saw. SawStop makes quality products and has great support. I think that safety is a big plus...but that is just me and a few others however it is not totally shared with everyone.

I also have the PCS SawStop - it is a very high quality saw. I have not seen a higher quality American made saw. I assume that the contractor model is also high quality plus it is harder to cut your fingers off. If you want a contractor saw I would say buy it.

Blog Entries
    I have the Saw Stop PCS and love it. Which ZipCode saw do you have? I used to have the Craftsman 22124 and would not trade it for ANY contractor format saw; and that's coming from a Saw Stop fan ;-) If it hadn't been for an unexpected windfall I would STILL have the 22124 and be very happy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Stamped wings? Haven't seen the saw, but if they cut corners there, they probably did other places.

I have a PCS and love it, but as long as you are careful a TS isn't particularly dangerous. I'd like a safer router table.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kertesz View Post
    I am looking at a slightly used Contractor Style SS with stamped wings and a 36" fence. I'm a little unsure if it is an upgrade to my Craftsman hybrid "zip code" saw with cast wings and a Vega Pro 40" fence. Anybody with the contractor version have any words of wisdom? What say the rest of the group? Would you make the move? I only have room for 1 saw...
    Well, I have the ICS not the contractor version. You would definately pick up from a safety standpoint. If i'm not mistaken, that craftsman is 1 3/4 hp I think (apologies if I'm wrong). I have been up close to the contractor saw and it's well made so you would not be disapointed. However, if you have a full size table castiron on the zipcode saw, that will be a trade off. I would suggest you find a vendor in your area that has one and go look at it. At the least, go put that one your considering through it's paces. I bet the seller would not mind at all. See how it operates. How good a deal is it?

I have the contractor SS and it is a fine tablesaw. Does everything that I need. Very high quality, like the other SS tablesaws.

Andrew,

I would recommend you view the saw and make your decision. Only you can determine if it's an upgrade from what you have without the safety improvement being considered.

In the end, it's your opinion that is important.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'm not familiar with your current saw but I have the SS contractor model with the optional cast iron table wings. I also have the 36" T-glide fence/extension table. I am impressed with the quality and accuracy out of the box with basic adjusting. I have it on the rolling jobsite stand being that I am between shops for the next year or so and have my equipment in my garage and need the mobility. No corners cut on this saw IMO...no pun intended! I bought the saw for two reasons: 1) I need the mobility to easily move it around in a garage and that means a contractor model- this saw was easily the most solidly built saw out of all I looked and 2) after having a BIL (very safety conscious and experienced furniture maker) lose several fingers in a TS accident I figured that I would investigate the Sawstop saw line...this led me to realizing the excellent quality of their saws... safety aside. Like Ken said I would run the saw and compare. Unless you upgrade the SS to cast wings and bring your Vega fence over to it you will likely find the switch not advantageous from a performance standpoint.

Is the price such that you are going to repost with a gloat? Personally, decided I wanted a tablesaw upgrade, but went with a Hammer sliding table saw. I find the saw is designed with safety in mind, but no blade stopping mechanism. The sliding table keeps your fingers away from the blade, and the fence can be slid back to avoid kickback. The really great thing about a slider, is the increased accuracy of crosscuts, as well as straight lining of edges.

Blog Entries
    I have the SS Contractor saw (the PCS wasn't out yet). I replaced the stamped wings with CI and I have the professional fence and mobility kit. I have added an outfeed table and dust control. It does everything I want it to do. I think it is a substantial step up from the Craftsman hybrid saw.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Thanks for all the responses... Sat on the fence to long and the saw is gone
    Andy Kertesz