Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stabilizing bark on cherry slab

stabilizing bark on cherry slab

I just bought a big slab of cherry and I'm going to turn it into 2 benches to go at the foot of beds in different rooms. (I'm going to use steel for the legs. I've never done this before but I've gotten interested into mixing stainless steel and brass into my designs.)

The question is, the bark on one side is slight damaged so I'm going to rip one side straight (the side against the bed) and leave the bark on the other side. What is the best way to stabilize bark? I usually use a polyurethane finish on cherry but I'm wondering if oil might be better with the bark.

I'm looking for advice from anyone with experience with handling bark.
    IMG_0844.jpg

Don't know if there is much you can do now. However, it is common knowledge that spring cut wood will lose its bark, whereas fall cut wood will hold it tight.

Take the bark off and use the live edge. I did that with a redwood burl slab table. Turned out real nice.
    Bark will catch on clothing, bedding, lingerie, etc.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

so how did you get the bark off?

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Take the bark off and use the live edge. I did that with a redwood burl slab table. Turned out real nice.
    Bark will catch on clothing, bedding, lingerie, etc.

If the slab is reasonably dry, it will separate. I have always popped off the balance with the corner of a sharp chisel. If it is more tightly adhering, a fine rotary wire wheel will clear it. The underlying surface will take a nice shine and be dark with several coats of varnish. Knock off (bevel slightly) any catchy areas on the top edge with fairly fine sand paper. The sapwood edge is the real eye catcher!!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

I would take the bark off,bark seems to attract bugs.Since we're 1000 miles apart maybe it's different for you.Nice looking slab.

A fairly dull draw knife works very well for removing bark. Been using this method for quite a few years with success.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I would take the bark off,bark seems to attract bugs..
    My thinking, too.

Turners use thin CA glue to stabilize bark on natural edge bowls. It does make the bark much darker, if that's OK, but has worked for me where the bark was holding and I wanted to be sure it stayed on. OTH I'm working an a similar bench and have taken the bark off because it had cracked at the intersection with the wood and I knew that normal use for a bench would eventually knock it off anyways. I hadn't thought of SS legs and would be curious to see what you were thinking. I like the idea of incorporating metal on a slab bench or table because of the rustic/modern contrast.

I took a TIG welding course last year for use in projects like this but haven't bought a welder yet. I found a bunch of metal legs on etsy.com that are by craftspeople or small companies not crappy imports built by children paid pennies.

this is what my wife likes. Not stainless steel but very simple clean lines so the focus stays on the slab:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1762433...w_type=gallery

That's what I had in mind too, Jim. The stainless versions were all over $200 and made in Turkey. I have a small MIG and am learning to weld. This looks like a good practice project.

I use the same approach as David. Use a draw knife, it will work well. I just debarked two live edge cherry slabs and they turned out sweet. You may have to clean some areas up with a spokeshave (areas the draw knife can't reach) I then used a dremmel with a sanding bit to hit areas the spokeshave missed. These areas were low points in the contour of the live edge. Take your time on it.

I was give a beautiful cherry slab myself. Was trying to decide if I could keep the bark on when I do something with it.... can't decide what to do with it yet.

So, the talk of the live edge and the bark is highly appreciated. Now if only I owned a draw shave.....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I was give a beautiful cherry slab myself. Was trying to decide if I could keep the bark on when I do something with it.... can't decide what to do with it yet.

So, the talk of the live edge and the bark is highly appreciated. Now if only I owned a draw shave.....
    Found mine at a garage sale. It was conveniently dull so I didn't have to do anything to it. Think I paid $1.50 for it.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I made a coffee table out of apple, with bark left on a crotch in the slab and on the legs, I used and epoxy bartop coating type finish, the bark still comes of with some texture but not enough to catch on anything, I really like how it looks.