Thread: Natural looking finish

Natural looking finish

I just finished a walnut dresser, and I want a finish that looks unfinished, essentially. I much prefer the look of the raw walnut over the darker traditional walnut furniture look.

What I would love is some kind of protective finish (doesn't have to be super protective, it's a dresser, not a table) that maintains the look it currently has. I was going to go with Watco Danish Oil, but it's too dark for my taste. What would you guys recommend? Water-based poly? Poly doesn't excite me, but if that's what I have to do to maintain the color...

Check out Rustoleum's Matte waterborne poly finish. You might be able to get it at Big Blue. I tested some a couple years back and it appeared unfinished.

To me, the beauty of walnut is brought out when you apply some type of oil to it. You will never see the depth of the grain with a water based poly. Plus, poly is a film finish so you will lose the unfinished look you want. The best compromise, I think, is one or two coats of wiped on super blonde shellac, rubbed down with a fine abrasive pad with some paste wax. The shellac will bring out the beauty of the walnut with minimal darkening, and the rubbed wax will give you that almost no finish look you're after.

John

From my experience walnut will get lighter over the years. So it doesnt matter what you put on it, lacquer, shellac, oil.
    Last edited by thomas hsieh; 11-09-2014 at 6:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    To me, the beauty of walnut is brought out when you apply some type of oil to it. You will never see the depth of the grain with a water based poly. Plus, poly is a film finish so you will lose the unfinished look you want. The best compromise, I think, is one or two coats of wiped on super blonde shellac, rubbed down with a fine abrasive pad with some paste wax. The shellac will bring out the beauty of the walnut with minimal darkening, and the rubbed wax will give you that almost no finish look you're after.

John
    All good - but I would go with an orange shellac. The orange really enhances the look of walnut.

Even to the point that I have seen examples where guys use orange aniline dye - I mean bright orange - and then finish it. Looks stunning, but off base for what you are trying to do.

Some orange, or #3, or whatever - put that on first. Try it and see.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.