Thread: Carrying wood on a roof rack in the rain

Carrying wood on a roof rack in the rain

I have always avoided carrying wood on my roof rack when it might get rained on. How much water is really a problem with kiln fried wood?

I would say once it's dry again there is no problem. KD is pretty much a permanent change . Sounds like you are talking
    about just a brief thing and not storage in the weather. Or if " kiln fried" wasn't a typo...I'm way off.

"Kiln fried" -- tripped up by apple's autocorrect yet again

the exposure would be for a couple of hours and if it does rain to would probably be for a fairly short time.

i don't have a moisture meter so is there any rule of thumb for surface drying?. I'm going on the assumption that
    a short period in the rain just wets a thin layer on the surface.

Yeah, after a couple days ,at most,in a dry place that little water is nothing to worry about . Especially if you are buying it
    in the rough and dressing it yourself.

Rainwater picks up lots of contaminates as it passes through the atmosphere. If you get it wet just from rain drops, you will generally end up with dark spots wherever a drop lands on the wood. Even if the whole panel is whetted, the surface will generally be darkened. Sometimes, oxalic acid bleach will remove some of the rain coloring.

It is best to completely cover wood to protect it from rainwater.
    Howie.........

This kind of water exposure is not a problem at all because the surface wood exposed will immediately swell from the water that gets on it and very little penetration that could cause dimensional changes will happen. That said kiln dried will be less responsive and so, allow more penetration then air aired and the potential for more movement.
    I think in this case auto correct got it right though.
    Last edited by ernest dubois; 10-15-2014 at 2:13 PM.

how bout you cover it with a tarp for your trip ........... then there is no problem.

the wood that are submerged in water will soak it up but if you are driving the wind will help to keep the wood dry

plywood.jpg
    Somebody had to post it. Ha!Ha!Ha!