Thread: Hotel suggestions New York

Hotel suggestions New York

We are a family of 4 and will be travelling from the United kingdom to New York for an 8 day holiday starting 30th March 2015

( mom, dad ,daughter age 19 son age 15 )

Suggestions for hotel please

Happy to have one room if this reduces cost

regards Brian
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 10-15-2014 at 4:23 PM.

check trivago.com hotels.com and booking.com
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

If you are interested in looking over the World Trade Center area, the Millenium Hilton in lower Manhattan can't be beat for the views.
    Get a higher floor!

The St. Regis is fantastic. Expensive, but still fantastic.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

have a look at tripadvisor.com for a good place to stay.

What is your budget?

Check out those websites. you can see reviews and pictures of all the places, and compare the prices based on people and number of rooms and such
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Brian,

I typically don't get hotel rooms though I extensively travel. There is a site named VRBO on the net where you can find apartments and such in the city you want for less than a hotel room. The advantage is that you can purchase food and prepare it thus making the trip much less expensive. When I get sent to New York City, Brooklyn is my favorite place because of the balance and quieter environment. The apartments there on VRBO typically cost a couple hundred a day, a steal in NYC.

We always stay here - 76th & Broadway. Been there 8 - 10 times over the years.

http://www.milburnhotel.com/

Prices are very reasonable, on the NYC scale of things. Not fancy, but a fine place to stay. Very close to subway stops on Broadway, which connects you north and south to anywhere you want to go.

Plus - a BIG plus - the rooms have "kitchenettes" in them - small fridge, small sink area, microwave, dishes and cutlery.

it is a block or two north of an excellent grocery store, and it is 2 - 3 blocks south of the legendary, iconic, Zabar's Deli.

Go to Zabars, pick up some excellent deli stuff, including a long, long counter of prepared dishes. Their bagels are the gold standard. And another long counter with maybe 10 - 15 guys slicing lox, smoked salmon, etc. A couple dozen different items. Buy a cheap kitchen knife for slicing bread and cheese when you go there. Their upstairs is a world-class store of kitchen utensils, etc.

Then, go to the grocery. Stuff goes in the fridge in the room - snacks and dinners, ready to go.

Across Broadway, there is a liquor/wine store.

Hop on the subway a few blocks away, and go to the theater district, Grand Central Station [do not - DO NOT - fail to have lunch or dinner at the Grand Central Oyster Bar - sit at the oyster counter if you can - the oyster stew is to die for], connect to everywhere.

You are 3 "long blocks" from Central Park. The East side [5th Avenue, Madison Ave, Metropolitan Museum] are on the other side of the park, so that is a cab ride for me.

For something like you are planning - family, coming to visit The Colonies, 8 days in New Amsterdam, you will love the hotel and its location. You will become "experts" in NYC living in 2 days - out the front door, right to Broadway, right to the train stop, off to see the world.

I cannot give a higher recommendation, unless you are looking for the $700 - $900 per night rooms, in which case I have a much better suggestion.

One bit of friendly advice: You are in a city. A big city. THE CITY, as most would say. Accept that for what it is. Do not - ever - stand on a street corner, looking confused, flipping the pages of your Fodor's and subway maps. Might as well wear a sign on your back that says "Kick Me."

Duck into a coffee shop, or wherever, get your bearings, and head back out happy and safe.

I'm a hick from the midwest. I "get it". Our first trip there, we were standing on a corner, flipping through the maps and tourist guides. A cop walks up and berates us: "What in the H**L are you doing? My job is hard enough. Don't do that stupid s***t out here - go in that diner, figger it out, and then start again. At least - go to the next cop's beat if you want to get mugged, OK? Sheeeesh." True story. I still laugh each time we go to NYC - wife will make a sudden turn into a coffee shop - I just wait outside for instructions, and chuckle.

The city is entirely safe - do not misunderstand me. I have no apprehensions about going anywhere, any time of day or night. Just don't act like a target.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

up to $400 per day

regards Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    up to $400 per day

regards Brian
    Check out the Milford, then - you can get a very nice room, accommodations for 4, for under that.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

You might try the Marriott Essex House up on 59th Street directly across from Central Park. Rates should be within your range.