Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cutting sheet at 45 degrees? Fixture?

Blog Entries
    Keith!

Wooooooot!!!!!!!! <big grin> Delighted to be proven completely and totally wrong! Very cool! And an enjoyable process trying to reason out what might happen as well! Looking forward to seeing 100% power now!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Keith I predict some enterprising business either US or Chinese will copy your idea and there will be one on the market in a few months. I don't think its able to be Patented however because you posted on a public forum.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    You will be losing a lot of the incidents power due to scatter...
    Why would it scatter? When the converging beams bounces off the mirror it will continue to converge - just like the photons bouncing off an SLR's mirror will continue on in an ordered path to the viewfinder.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Instead of putting the 3rd mirror at 45 degrees, couldn't you put it at 67.5? Then put a 4th mirror parallel to the 3rd and a lens after the 4th? A bit more complicated but then you don't have to worry about cooking the mirror...
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    Why would it scatter? When the converging beams bounces off the mirror it will continue to converge - just like the photons bouncing off an SLR's mirror will continue on in an ordered path to the viewfinder.
    it's a gaussian curve Rich not a straight line

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    it's a gaussian curve Rich not a straight line
    Ok, that explains everything.
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Keith I predict some enterprising business either US or Chinese will copy your idea and there will be one on the market in a few months. I don't think its able to be Patented however because you posted on a public forum.
    I think it's either AP or HX do similar Bill but they stick two more mirrors in and have adjustable angles.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

I cut some prisms last night and the quality is surprising. I can actually look at a text image through the prism and it is still very legible. I just wanted to to turn led light so that's a give in.

Rich, you are right, it won't scatter to any detrimental amount. Reflector telescopes have been reflecting prior to the focal point of the hour glass since they were invented and I can see the moon okay with out any scatter. It is effectively the same model that I am using. My focal point ends up with a slight elliptical distortion but not a scatter as it is 22.5 degrees and not 45 like the image below.
    reflectielescope.jpg

Yes, Bill I should make the final version, test it really well and then sell it. Good idea.

Dave, are you calling my quality work $2 worth? haha.

Building a unit with the mirror before the lens would be the proper way to do it as there would be no power issues. It just requires the last laser mirror to be pitched by 45 degrees. The mechanics get a lot harder and head collisions would then be possible too. I can keep that up my sleeve if my current system has any downsides. I quite enjoy experimenting.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Cheers
    Keith
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I think you have that backwards Bill, someone in China is saying "If you do this, some guy in New Zealand will copy your idea"

Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Colson View Post
    Rich, you are right, it won't scatter to any detrimental amount. Reflector telescopes have been reflecting prior to the focal point of the hour glass since they were invented and I can see the moon okay with out any scatter. It is effectively the same model that I am using. My focal point ends up with a slight elliptical distortion but not a scatter as it is 22.5 degrees and not 45 like the image below.
    Thanks Keith. I think the only reason for the elliptical distortion is because the beam is hitting the acrylic at an angle, not because it is being reflected.

The Newtonian reflector is a good example. You could use any telescope that uses a star diagonal as example too.
    Gerber Sabre 408

Nice Keith!
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Dave, are you calling my quality work $2 worth? haha.

nooooooooooo if it does what you want then actual cost is achademic Keith, I meant the idea of butchering up HD platters to make mirrors when genuine mirrors are only a few dollars from China.
    You did what !

Sorry Dave, I need to comprehend your posts a little better. Maybe its that sneaky cat face that biases my comprehension. hehe.

On another note I ordered another mirror today and have started the next design which will clip on to the laser head in a few seconds. I also measured the 45 degree angle and it's better than 0.2 of a degree, best I can measure. Now to work out how to cut in the right place depending on the Z height.

Cheers
    Keith
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Honestly guys, my biggest limitation is time (or lack of) the differences between scattered multiwavelength ambient light and coherent narrow band / frequency laser light are different worlds. You simply cannot apply the fundamental principles of one to the other past the involvement of "photons". It's like comparing laser resonators to LED's in reality.
    If I had a LOT more time on my hands I'd happily post about the need to keep tubes at a keen level to the first mirror or why semi focussed beams scatter but being hand on heart truthful the time involved would be colossal, maybe if I retire early I'll post a lot more in depth stuff but for now I'll just do what I can in the time I have.
    Please please don't think I'm being smug or elitist but the subject matter is mind warpingly complex involving quite a few first principles that even when you understand them cause headaches.

cheers

Dave

Maybe its that sneaky cat face that biases my comprehension. hehe.
    my other love in life Keith, Cats 20 so far and counting
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Now Dave,

Just because you are trying to remodel an entire castle (abbey?) run a very large business and have a family life with wife and kids and 20 cats and have friends and do fun and interesting things on the side is no reason to give short shrift to SMC. What is all that free time for after all? <friendly grin>

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.