Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glad Ads are Ending Soon, and Visits

I guess there is a thin line between discussing politics and discussing voting. How do you decide who to vote for? I am not asking who you are voting for, I am asking where you get the information to make a decision. THere are always judges on the ballot that I never heard of and other people. My parents never voted. It would be nice to have an unbiased website where I can see what my ballot will look like and then have information about what issues are important to the people that are running. Is there such a thing? I think this can be discussed without discussing politics, kind of hijacking a thread to avoid more political threads.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Moses,

You are correct. Here we vote for many offices like constable, judge, justices, attorneys, and judge-executives about whom you hear or know very little. It's difficult to even find who's on the ballot, until you arrive to vote. A couple of election cycles ago the local government put on a debate for the folks in lesser offices so voters could see who was running for office in each position. They starting introducing people in alphabetical order and one man failed to mention his office. He went on to discuss his conviction rate in court. When it came to to ask questions, I asked if he was running for city or county prosecutor. He indicated he was a sitting judge. When I asked why he thought conviction rate was a good indicator for a judge who is supposed to act impartially, he didn't have a good answer. It would have been a great point for a prosecutor. Here people in those offices can be elected with less than 100 votes. Some of them have enormous power. It's a shame few people know about them.

Rich love your humor
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    I guess there is a thin line between discussing politics and discussing voting. How do you decide who to vote for? I am not asking who you are voting for, I am asking where you get the information to make a decision. THere are always judges on the ballot that I never heard of and other people. My parents never voted. It would be nice to have an unbiased website where I can see what my ballot will look like and then have information about what issues are important to the people that are running. Is there such a thing? I think this can be discussed without discussing politics, kind of hijacking a thread to avoid more political threads.
    I’m an advocate of voting—but only if it’s an informed vote. I stopped taking the local paper years ago because it is way too biased and therefore not a reliable source for researching candidates. I’ve already downloaded my “Sample Ballots” from the local Election Center and will start my voter research on the internet this week.

If my research doesn’t turn up any credible information on a candidate, they won’t get my vote just because their name is listed on a ballot. In fact, for years I haven’t voted for anyone—just the lesser of evils.

Blog Entries
    Living in Southwest Washington State has an advantage. Almost all of our 'local' TV is from Portland, Oregon. We record most programs so we can fast forward though commercials. Besides, the ads for political causes are usually Oregon politics and usually don't apply to us.

We do not leave our property often. So our driveway is usually covered with leaves this time of year and looks like it goes nowhere. The avatar by my name above shows the more used section of unpaved road that turns off of our drive. Being this far off the road has some advantages.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm watching the Packers game and I don't think I've seen any political ads. Are the spots too expensive during NFL games?

Well some states don't have contentious races this year; many are in the bag one way or another.

Phil, I'll bet that the ads during games are far too expensive and that the PACs and candidates campaign committees have made the decision that the same money buys 2-6 (who knows?) times as many ads at other times. I suspect, but don't know, that the time allocated to local ads during major sports events is limited by the networks so that national advertisers reach the largest audiences possible. Who wants to pay the network for a national ad for a NH candidate?
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I DVR most of what I watch so I fast forward through most commercials, which includes political adds. Now that you mention it though, I have not been inundated with phone calls this time around.

I already voted absentee, so advertising would be wasted on me even if it were persuasive.

I'm from Minnesota and the ads are non-stop. I am curious if anyone has ever seen an ad for Stewart Mills III where he actually appears and says anything about himself or his agenda. All we get from him is negative ads about his opponent. Alll I know about him is that he is rich, has a big fancy yacht, has long hair that he continually pulls behind his ears, and he appears to be relatively wet behind those same ears.

One of the benefits of living in a one party state is not that there is not much in the way of ads. My father lives in Florida and gets blasted non stop every two years.