Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kern laser on wood?

I'm not downgrading for anybody Keith
    You did what !

Dave,

I wish a Kern Laser was a downgrade for my shop

I really love my Trotec but It would be awesome to be able to vector cut steel sheet, half inch thick Corian and glass..........

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Lets take up a collection and buy one
    I'm in. We should probably install it at my house, since I have the most experience with their machines, right?
    Center for Experimental Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics - University of Washington
    Kern 400W 4'x8' HSE with metal cutting add-on and rotary stage
    2-axis CNC mill, 2 manual mills, 3 lathes, other standard shop tools, . . . and a 7.5 MeV tandem Van de Graaff particle accelerator

Steel's ok to do Keith but the cost runs compared to organics are crazy, a LOT more competition as well from mid industrial shops. A lot of end buyers don't quite grasp if you are pumping £27 worth of oxygen or Argon through the nozzle per hour then their job isn't going to cost £15 per hour

Must admit though, stainless is a giggle when you start making the smaller items that have always been made of wood out of steel

best wishes

Dave

ps: Matt...ummm NO
    You did what !

Matt, you're saying you have different focal lengths for 300dpi vs. 600dpi? Is this because of the machine you're using? I operate a Kern Micro (150W) and a Kern100
    I'm not familiar with this setting recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric j Allen View Post
    Matt, you're saying you have different focal lengths for 300dpi vs. 600dpi? Is this because of the machine you're using? I operate a Kern Micro (150W) and a Kern100
    I'm not familiar with this setting recommendation.
    No, we just have a 2.5" lens. It looks like the beam spot (or its effective size) from our laser is less than 1/(300dpi) ~= 0.003 in wide, because if I engrave wood at 300dpi I can see ridges left between passes. There isn't anything in the settings sheet about this—it's just something I've had to figure out myself. The beam width and quality (both determine the focal spot size) for our 400W laser is likely different than yours.
    Center for Experimental Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics - University of Washington
    Kern 400W 4'x8' HSE with metal cutting add-on and rotary stage
    2-axis CNC mill, 2 manual mills, 3 lathes, other standard shop tools, . . . and a 7.5 MeV tandem Van de Graaff particle accelerator