Thread: Mounting tail vise to existing bench

Mounting tail vise to existing bench

Has anyone done this?

My bench is laminated maple, about 1 1/2" thick.

I would like something like that to do hand planing, to secure my work with.

Have been using a variety of methods over the years-a tail vise has always been my dream.

Thanks, David

Is there enough overhang past the frame on the end of your current table to handle the length required? Adding some extra thickness on the end if needed is doable as far as I can see.
    David

I use the lee valley inset vice as a tail vice. Works great, especially for the ease of installation. Can't beat the price either. Well, I guess you can, but you get the point.
    Paul

You can install a wagon vise, which honestly works fine for most things a tail vise is used for. This is the low costs, relatively easy way to go.

If you have the $$ and want a real tail vise, I recommend the LV Quick Release TV. It's designed to be retro-fitted onto a bench. The downside is that you require a fairly deep apron to be added. You can download the instructions from their website to see if it's for you. I have one. I'll vouch for the good action on this.

I will say that there are times I wished I had a wagon vise for two reasons: 1) Wagon dog hole lines are inset an inch or two further back than are tail vise dog holes. This gives better support for wider things. 2) I am space-challenged. A wagon vise handle does not have travel, so you can butt it close to something else. A tail vise requires clearance because the handle and chop move beyond the end of the bench as it's opened.

On the other hand, the tail vise does allow some things to be clamped vertically easier than a wagon.

Last, a twin screw end vise may give you much of the functionality of a proper tail, and can the easiest to install.

I have about 10-11" from end of bench down the long side till I hit the leg. And about 4-5" across the end till I run into the bench vise assembly.

The inset vise looks probable best for me. In an ideal world, I would have bought one of those $3K LN benches. And, I am space challenged.

The thought just occurred to me to maybe get something like a huge T nut, a threaded rod, and make some collar (ugly, no doubt) from the end of the bench......

Right now, I have to clamp in my bench vise, and/or I rigged an adjustable raise/lower stop @ the end of another bench, but my workpiece shifts on that bench.

All that said, these are pretty nice problems to have. I just watched a program on North Korea. Geez.

Any other ideas please?