Thread: Misinformed on Dust Collection Barrel Location?

Misinformed on Dust Collection Barrel Location?

My new shop is finally finished and I'm ready to install my dust collection system, a Laguna Cyclone with a 5 HP motor. For reasons of floor plan, layout, and, especially, ductwork headroom clearance, I want to raise the unit (motor, blower, filter, and cone) about 2 feet higher, keeping the collection barrel where it is. I would do that by replacing the flex hose connecting the cone with the drum top with a longer hose. Headroom is not a problem. When I asked Laguna about getting or modifying parts to do that, I was told that raising the unit and extending the hose connecting the cyclone to the drum would defeat the cyclonic action. Upon further thought and looking at other posts here, this does not make sense to me. Shouldn't gravity should take over at the bottom of the cone to pull the heavier material in the stream into the barrel? If this were the case, any location of a cyclone more than 10 inches from the drum would cause the cyclone to fail. Am I wrong in thinking this way? Do I really have to build a platform for both the unit and the collection drum to raise the system as the technician suggested?

Sounds like BS to me. I installed my Grizzly about ten inches higher and put a longer hose on. Don't think it made any (undesirable) difference.

Blog Entries
    I also do not subscribe to that information. My barrel does show signs of "snow drifting" due to the air pattern but, when I feed the system test dust all I see happening in the clear connecting hose is stuff going into the barrel. It is blowing around but, definitely going south ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The most believable explanation I've read on how a cyclone dust collector works stated that when air is forced to change directions within the cyclone, it reduces speed and it's ability to carry the dust, gravity takes over and thus it drops down the tubing into the barrel. That is why it is so important that one minimizes or eliminates an air leak either in the barrel or in tubing and connections between the barrel and the bottom of the cyclone.

With that in mind, it would surprise me if raising the system and lengthening the interconnecting hose would make a significant difference.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-18-2014 at 11:08 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

One of the customers for my Bin Level Sensor system has an Oneida cyclone mounted about 8 feet above his bin and he uses metal duct with a slight offset down to a short section of clear flexible duct just above the bin. He installed it in early 2012 and it has worked fine. As Ken pointed out above, it is imperative that there are no air leaks into the bin or the drop section that will defeat the separation effectiveness of the cyclone. Here is a picture of his installation he sent me.

Poore -sensor3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

To answer the question,don't think it'll make a noticeable difference......echoing above.But reason for post was,have you considered making the bin taller/more capacity?

It will work perfectly and is done all the time in various industrial applications. Like others said, keep a good seal. Also watch for abrasion in the hose over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    With that in mind, it would surprise me if raising the system and lengthening the interconnecting hose would make a significant difference.
    It would surprise me if a longer hose would make it worse. I seem to recall reading on the Clearvue forum where there should be slightly better separation with a longer hose. My speculation is that a longer hose would reduce the chances of the spinning air from disturbing and lifting the dust that is already in the bin.

Steve

Thank you, all, for the reassurance and information. The suggestion by Brian Smith to increase the capacity of the drum was really an innovative approach. Since my drum is already 55+ gallons, though, I will proceed with my initial plan and raise the main unit. Thanks again for the help on my first post.