Thread: 30" Jointer

30" Jointer

My mind has gone. I vaguely remember getting a plane from Steve Knight years ago. I tested it out once and noticed my shoulder hurt badly. I put the plane away and forgot about it. I found it today looking for other lost stuff. I can't remember if it is BU or BD. It has no chipbreaker so I suspect BD.
    Why in hell I ordered a 30'' razee Sapele jointer is beyond me. I must have had a long edge to true up. I really don't remember ordering it. I have been sober 31 years so that is not in the picture. What are these monsters really used for?

jointing edges and truing very long boards.

Like this?IMAG0112.jpgOf course, this one is ONLY 24" long....

Hi Jerry

As Dave wrote, used to plane a l-o-n-g board.

Not altogether necessary (just plane down high spots first), but it can make the job easier.

I was given a 3" wide blade and turned it into a 36" long cooper's plane. Here it is alongside a Stanley #7 (which is 22" long) ..

It is really meant to be used inverted, this way ..

I have also built a 30" long jointer, but found it too long in the end, and cut it down to 26". Then I built a 28" jointer, which is a nicer length for a woodie (in the middle) ...

At the end of the day I find myself mostly using a LV BU Jointer, which hugs the wood and provides so much feedback. I am also trying out one of the new LV custom jointers, and that is very promising. Both of these are 22" long, and I do not feel the need for something longer.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I have one of Steve's jointers. It is a bevel down iron. It is not the Razee. It is 30" long. I love the way he shipped his planes with a translucent shaving in the throat.

I also have two of his smoothers, one is a high angle iron, the other is normal. I don't recall the exact angle.

My wooden jointer is also 75 cm, which is a normal size overhere in mainland Europe. You can even find 90 cm ones. They were probably used most for doors and windows and stuff like that.