Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dumb Jam Chuck Question

Looks like the most common way to mount the base, to clean up the bottom, is to turn and fit a jam chuck. I can also use a chuck with spigot jaws. I just remembered that I have a set of rubber expandable jam chucks. The largest size of 2" fits the inside perfectly and is slightly tight without even using the expansion nut. The expandable jam chuck would have to be mounted in my drill chuck. I could also use my talon chuck with spigot jaws. So, this is where I get confused about which is the best way to go when all would work. I will be using the tail stock for support until the very last little bit of clean up. Just wondering if there are any more suggestions. Thanks.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Guess there were no more suggestions. I used my Talon chuck with spigot jaws. Worked quite well. I chose this method thinking that there would be the least amount of wobble or out-of-round issues. There were neither. The spigot jaws have ridges so I was a little worried about them ruining the inside finish, but that was minor. I did use the tailstock with a non-pointed live center. I cut a small piece of the shelf cloth and it worked well also. The main mistake I made was in not making the bottom slightly concave. Duh! It was easy to remount it, turn, and re-sand.

I'm going to be making a communion goblet for our church so many of your suggestions will apply to that as well. I was wondering about the goblet design, but a Google search came up with a lot of pictures to choose from. I really appreciate all of your suggestions and comments. Thanks so much!

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith