Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter's Coming!! Snow Blower Suggestions

Winter's Coming!! Snow Blower Suggestions

I have a single stage snow blower but after last winter it about killed me and my arthritis is getting worse. I'm looking for a 2 stage self propelled (not necessarily multi-speed) snow blower in the $600.00 range. Anybody have any suggestions on which to buy and/or stay away from? Thanks...
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I had the same question last year ,started this thread ,ended up buying an Ariens (240014),it is (was) over $1000 and highly recommend it.If you could find a slightly used one that fits your budget,you will not regret buying this blower,very reliable and well built.

I've been thinking about upgrading my snowblower as well. I have a small Craftsman 2 stage that's served me well for 18 years but it's getting tired. What I don't like about it (other than a stalling issue) is that the controls are too low and I have to bend over a lot... bad for the old back. Modern units all have the chute and gear select controls up high. Some have steering control capability which would reduce the "man handling" required in maneuvering. That's what I'll be looking for.

The big box stores already have snow blowers out on display here in CT. Check their web sites and look at the reviews. But for your budget, you should be checking craigslist for a used one.

Other things I'm looking for: I insist on having a throttle control. Some models don't have that any more, they run full speed all the time. A waste of fuel when you need to stop and clean off your car or something. I'd also like to avoid Chinese made engines, based on reviews. I'm not sure if either feature is possible any more, but that's what I'm looking for.

The thread in Ken's link is a good read too.

I bought a 2 stage 24" Ariens snow blower and it works great! I can clear my drive way in 20 mins and it throws the snow very well. Be careful of what you buy many of them are junk. I would also highly recommend that what ever brand you get that you get some sheer pins/bolts, I didn't and when I did sheer one it made me go run up to the borg to get one....

Andrew come up to Michigan to Lecklers on Telegraph in Lasalle and buy a Husqvarna. Can't say if it's any better or worse than any other but the service is outstanding. All my lawn and garden equipment comes from them--I don't even shop around anymore.

Matt, sounded like a good idea but they don't have any listed on their website...
    Andy Kertesz

No they really don't do the web other than the site Stihl provides.

Blog Entries
    I highly recommend a Simplicity Snowblower. I've had mine for 5-6 years and it still starts on the first pull and throws snow faster and farther than any machine I've eve used. We average 90+ inches of heavy wet snow here each winter and I have yet to clog it. I do spray the auger and chute with silicone prior to use. Mine is an 8 Hp. There are good slid machines made in he U.S.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Good news: We aren't going to get much snow here in the U.S. this winter. Just save your dollars, I'm expecting many days in the 40's and 50's and golf (for those that play) in December.

Phil, I'm curious as to whether you have a direct line somewhere for this information....
    Andy Kertesz

We (the 10 homes around a cul-du-sac) went in together to get a large two stage electric start Craftsman over 15 years ago. It's showing signs of aging, but it works well and we love the electric start. I'd be a little concerned about the newer Sears products. As Matt Meiser said, Husqvarna has a great machine. I believe it was developed over in Sweden where there is a huge need to have a good reliable snow thrower. Price for them was a little high when I recently looked for a possible replacement. The place where I got my Stihl equipment also only carries Husqvarna. That should give you an idea of the quality of that product. They only carry top of line stuff. But if I could get one at a reasonable price, I wouldn't hesitate. $600.00 is at the lower end of good quality equipment for the features most people seem to want: 2 stage, electric start, 24" wide, other than cheep Chinese motor, quality materials, reliable. Good hunting for the perfect $600.00 snow thrower.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

The best one I ever owned was a Honda 828, but they are darn expensive. I gave it to a friend in Michigan because we had so little snow down here that it didn't work well. Second to that, I recommend the Husqvarna others have mentioned.

I can give a recommendation for one to stay away from :

http://www.amazon.com/Powerland-PDST...land+equipment

I bought one of these from Costco a few years back. It was terrible right out of the box. If I was fortunate enough to get it started, the machine could barely throw 4" of dry snow 10' away! I struggled with it for two winters then sold the blasted thing and bought a new Cub Cadet blower.

The Cub's been flawless.
    Last edited by Brett Robson; 10-19-2014 at 9:57 AM. Reason: added link

I bought a used Ariens back in the 70s and had it to 5 years ago when the engine finally gave out. I bought a Husqvarna and have had more trouble keeping it going than my old Ariens. If I would get a new one it would be another Ariens.

I'm surprised when I read these threads that the Toro name never comes up. My single-stage Toro has done everything I've needed, and I live in Milwaukee (so we know snow). In fact, I'd never consider a two-stage because they seem soooo slow compared to my 6.5-HP 2-cycle single-stage. I'm always done with my driveway faster than any of the two-stage users around me.

BUT, Toro does make two-stage snow blowers. And yet in these threads, their name never comes up. Has anyone used one? Are they not any good?
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 10-19-2014 at 11:56 AM.