Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter's Coming!! Snow Blower Suggestions

Ya know...after reading good and bad about several of the brands mentioned, I'm reminded of something I concluded after researching coffee makers by studying the feedback comments on several sites. When you read multiple feedbacks, there are no perfect machines. Someone will have one that has problems and someone will have one that is perfect. It makes making a decision based on feedback often difficult. Better than no feedback, but still sometimes difficult to pull out your hard earned coins and feel there will never be a problem. At least you know you might get one of the perfect ones. With my luck however........
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

When researching my blower purchase, I first decided on the size of machine I wanted, then formulated a list of features I liked, which narrowed the field, then made my decision in part with feedback from others.

Features you may want - (my list is purely subjective here) as for the 2-stage machines, consider:

-Metal or plastic discharge chute. My experience with both says wet snow doesn't stick as much to the plastic.

-Power Steering. Some have a lever under each grip which disengages the drive to that wheel to ease making tight turns.

-Discharge chute control. Crank or joystick design. Both work, but get one you can use with one hand.

-Chute deflector. Is the deflector that controls the angle the snow is ejected a separate control or can it be adjusted via the chute control?

-Lever lock. Can you lock the auger lever when in motion to free your hand to move the chute?

-Heated grips. I never cared much on this one - That's what gloves are for.

-Electric start. Probably most 2 stage machines have this now, but just make sure.

-Engine noise. Can you clear your drive at 5am without waking the entire neighborhood?

-Headlight. A nice feature if you work in the dark hours of winter away from street lights.

In my case, after pondering the choices, I narrowed the field to Cub Cadet and Toro. The Cub got the nod based on the skid shoes, which wont rust or scratch the driveway, like my old blower did.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    Ya know...after reading good and bad about several of the brands mentioned, I'm reminded of something I concluded after researching coffee makers by studying the feedback comments on several sites. When you read multiple feedbacks, there are no perfect machines. Someone will have one that has problems and someone will have one that is perfect. It makes making a decision based on feedback often difficult. Better than no feedback, but still sometimes difficult to pull out your hard earned coins and feel there will never be a problem. At least you know you might get one of the perfect ones. With my luck however........
    And that's why I buy stuff like this from a dealer that can take care of it. Another reason for issues with a lot of these small machines suffer from is improper setup by some minimum wage guy in the back room of a big box or worse the buyer.

I just replaced my snow blower with an ariens 2 stage 24" for $800. My previous SB was 20 years old cheap, $500 5hp 24". But I changed the oil every year, and drained the gas. It was still running, but getting a little tired.
    The new one has electric start, and I added handwarmers myself.
    I bought mine from home depot online and they ship it to a local store for setup. So you get the better price and the setup, and the local dealer delivered as well.
    Jonathan

I bought a Yard King, 8 HP, 27" from Menards many years ago and it has been a good machine although I don't know where to buy one anymore. Anyway, it was solidly built and things like shear pins were easy to find at Menards and Home Depot. Downside is that it is heavy and a bit hard to handle (quick turns). Good thing is the drive has many speed settings including 2 reverse. In fact, I would buy one again if I were in the market and could find out where to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    And that's why I buy stuff like this from a dealer that can take care of it. Another reason for issues with a lot of these small machines suffer from is improper setup by some minimum wage guy in the back room of a big box or worse the buyer.
    All hail Matt the wise!

I purchased some equipment from Sears with an extended warranty. The equipment failed often so I would take it back to sears. They would ship it a couple of hours south and a week or three later it would come back as not fixable and they would give me another.

I found a local shop that services what they sell. The few times I have had trouble (like because I improperly winterized my snow blower and it would not start in the fall), they fixed it the same day. They also provided good advice related to the product. For example, a two stage snow blower may be able to handle more snow, but, it will not clean a paved driveway as nicely as a single stage. When I purchased my Toro, they mentioned that generally speaking, a two cycle motor is easier to start in cold weather (I think they no longer are allowed to sell two cycle engines in snow blowers, however). My Toro generally starts very easily so I have never bothered with the electric start.

Ultimately, I was more concerned with the service aspect when I made my purchase (since I trusted them to make solid recommendations).

I will admit I was skeptical when they said that they did not expect me back for service visits on my line trimmer.... and years later, it just keeps working. But, if it did fail, they claim to fix them. I bring my snow blower in sometimes to do things like replace some scraper thing that rides along the pavement while I blow the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I bought a Yard King, 8 HP, 27" from Menards many years ago and it has been a good machine although I don't know where to buy one anymore. Anyway, it was solidly built and things like shear pins were easy to find at Menards and Home Depot. Downside is that it is heavy and a bit hard to handle (quick turns). Good thing is the drive has many speed settings including 2 reverse. In fact, I would buy one again if I were in the market and could find out where to get one.
    Sounds like you know how to care for a machine. It's not where you get it, but knowing how to treat it well that will make it last. Unlike a lawn mower, a snowblower is kind of an emergency machine. Who cares if the grass gets too long. But if you can't move the snow you are stuck. That's why the most important part is caring for it. Changing the oil, draining the gas, and lubrication. Most of my neighbors don't want to bother, so they get plows to come clean them out. A couple just get their snowblowers serviced every year by the local dealer. $150 a year! I suppose I'd do the same if I couldn't figure out how to change the oil.
    jonathan

The job I had today postponed. So all this snowblower talk got me thinking that I never changed my axle bearings when I did the rebuild. I couldn't figure out how to get them off, had to remove the 2 pc split axle. So today I did some searching around on the net and got the answer. Took it apart and got the new bearings. 2 axle and one drive pulley. All the removed parts are in the sprayroom with fresh coats on them after stripping and prep. Hopefully this will complete the rebuild.

Blog Entries
    Depends on what size drive you have and is it dirt or paved. I am 70 miles north of you, so we have similar snow. Last year was a tough one with a record 90 inches of snow, normal is about 40. I used my dad's old 21" Toro single stage until it died after 20 years. Bought an 18" snapper, too narrow and not enough power, gave it to my son and went back to a new 21" Toro single stage a few years ago and never looked back. Starts on the first pull every time. Ok, once in a while if we get 8" or more, I dream of a big 3 stage that will throw it 60 feet and carve into two foot snow banks. But that is maybe every other year. My concrete drive is 16x70 with a parking spot also beside the garage and I can clear 4-6" of snow in about 20 minutes without a lot of exertion. I can clear an inch off the main drive in not much over 5 minutes. The single stage pulls itself into the snow while a two stage depends on it's wheels to push it along. With the two stage, you don't get the rubber paddle effect on cleaning the snow down to bare pavement, it relies on a steel scraper which will bounce up over hardpack more so than the rubber paddle which can eat into hard pack. How many folks get out their two stage to clear a half inch or an inch of snow? If you don't clear it, tires pack it down and it will stay until the thaw. Ok, I am a bit anal about keeping my drive clear... My friend has a 28" two stage up north for clearing his two track back to his cabin. I have used it and it wears you out. Don't assume that a two stage will be any easier than a single stage just because it has tires that turn.

IMHO, a Toro isn't likely to have to go back to the shop for ten years as long as you put Stabil in it at year end or run it dry. You want a really good two stage? Get a tracked Yamaha, but it will set you back about 2 grand and you might have to go to Canada to find one.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 10-21-2014 at 9:41 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Depends on what size drive you have and is it dirt or paved. I am 70 miles north of you, so we have similar snow. Last year was a tough one with a record 90 inches of snow, normal is about 40. I used my dad's old 21" Toro single stage until it died after 20 years. Bought an 18" snapper, too narrow and not enough power, gave it to my son and went back to a new 21" Toro single stage a few years ago and never looked back. Starts on the first pull every time. Ok, once in a while if we get 8" or more, I dream of a big 3 stage that will throw it 60 feet and carve into two foot snow banks. But that is maybe every other year. My concrete drive is 16x70 with a parking spot also beside the garage and I can clear 4-6" of snow in about 20 minutes without a lot of exertion. I can clear an inch off the main drive in not much over 5 minutes. The single stage pulls itself into the snow while a two stage depends on it's wheels to push it along. With the two stage, you don't get the rubber paddle effect on cleaning the snow down to bare pavement, it relies on a steel scraper which will bounce up over hardpack more so than the rubber paddle which can eat into hard pack. How many folks get out their two stage to clear a half inch or an inch of snow? If you don't clear it, tires pack it down and it will stay until the thaw. Ok, I am a bit anal about keeping my drive clear...

IMHO, a Toro isn't likely to have to go back to the shop for ten years as long as you put Stabil in it at year end or run it dry. You want a really good two stage? Get a tracked Yamaha, but it will set you back about 2 grand and you might have to go to Canada to find one.
    This has been my experience as well. My first Toro was a CCR2000 (I think) right after I purchased this house approx. 19 years ago. It has needed no work, I just make sure to put some Stabil in the gas, let it sit with whatever little gas is in it over the summer, then start it up in fall and run it dry. When the first snow arrives, I put fresh gas in it, and it pull starts right up.

About six or seven years ago I purchase a CCR2400 (I think that is the model #) for work. The owner of the building I was renting space in was going through some financial difficulty, and I used the Toro to clear about four parking spots in front of my shop, believe it or not. I also cleared the middle section of the parking lot so cars could get in/out. This went on for a few years.

A few years ago a new owner at that building brought with him a plow, and my daughter purchased a house, so the CCR2000 (now about 20-YO) is at her house and the CCR2400 is at home. The only thing I've had to do to the 20-YO machine was replace the scraper on the bottom, and the governor vane got sticky so I had to loosen that.

Amazing little machines.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 10-21-2014 at 9:50 AM.

After 60 years of thinking a shovel was all the snow moving equipment one should require I finally broke down and got a top of the line Ariens 24" blower at the new house, and I have to say I'm hooked. The narrower width allows me to clear the walks without getting into the garden. The relatively big motor lets me throw even heavy wet snow a good 50-60 feet, which I need at our new place. And, though I hate to say it, the hand warmers are delightful. The chute controls are all conveniently placed and it chews though 20-30" snowfalls like crazy. It even makes quick work of the 6-8 ft high embankments the highway department is sometimes kind enough to leave at the end of the driveway, though those do take several passes. So far it starts and runs like a champ, it has an electric starter, but I've never tried using it.

WORX WG650 18-Inch 13 Amp Electric Snow Thrower

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Good news: We aren't going to get much snow here in the U.S. this winter. Just save your dollars, I'm expecting many days in the 40's and 50's and golf (for those that play) in December.
    Phil

You're a prophet.
    Nope, we ain't getting no snow this winter. I just bought a new 3X Cub Cadet. No way it's going to snow now. It was a total waste of money, and everyone will be laughing at me for buying a snowblower

Andrew
    While researching snowblowers prior to my purchase, I found out that there are really only about a 1/2 dozen manufacturers of Snowblowers.
    Honda and Yamaha are at the top of the heap and make their own units. ( John Deere gave up on snowblowers 2 years ago, and now sell Honda's and Ariens.)
    MTD is the biggest maker of snowblowers in the US. They make them for many brands, too spec. There are one or two others, but that's about it.

I picked a 3X, 28", Cub Cadet because I got it local, 2 miles from the house, and it can be repaired local, 3 miles from the house. I bought it at a Tractor Supply, with some pretty good % off, only after verifying I would have no issues getting it serviced by the factory authorized service center. I doubt I'll ever need to take it someone outside of a total failure though. I'm pretty good at the small engine stuff.

$600.00 new isn't going to buy much. It seemed to me that about $750.00 seemed to be about the low point for a new 2 stage unit.
    My choices came down to Ariens and Cub Cadet.
    I also have a 1989 Toro, that still runs and chucks snow, but it's getting tired and requires fiddlin', which is a pain when it's cold outside.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-03-2014 at 9:21 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Turn your dishwasher into a snow thrower. Put a shovel in her hands.
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

My Ariens started with the first pull after a being stored for 10 months,I haven't checked the auger lube level and if it's low,I have no idea where to find Ariens L3 synthetic gear lube,the owner's manual says :"only use Ariens severe duty L3".I have never seen an equivalent"SEVERE DUTY" gear oil even if I wanted to,this L3 oil has to be something special.