Thread: Interesting option for cabinet saw/router setups or all around extension cord

Interesting option for cabinet saw/router setups or all around extension cord

I bought this plug on Amazon that lets you wire 220v and 110v in the same outlet. The advantage is that you can run one cord for your 220v and 110v setups. I have my power tool bench that doubles as a outfeed table, so I run a strip outlet from the top outlet and I can power my router and any sanders at the same time.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Nothing earth shattering but having one extension cord that can handle my bigger machines is nice. Any concerns I should have?
    There are two kinds of people in this world, those who say there are two kinds of people and those who don't

A lack of neutral would be my concern. It looks like you're only plugging into a 220v outlet on the other end -- and it's just a 3-wire outlet (two hots and a ground) -- to get 120v off a 220v line, you need that neutral.

I may be missing something or making an assumption about how you're supplying power to it but it looks to me like you're not using a 4-wire connection and thus lacking a neutral.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

As pictured, is this a NEC Code violation? Watching with interest...

As I understand the NEC, that won't pass code, at least for commercial work. (with the caveat that I am not a licensed Master electrician, just someone who works with electric as a part of the real job)
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

Here is the Amazon link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Product Description

20 Amp, 125/250 Volt, NEMA 5-20R_6-20R, 2P, 3W, Narrow Body Duplex Receptacle, Straight Blade, Commercial Grade, Self Grounding, Dual Voltage, Back & Side Wired, Steel Strap - Ivory , UPC: 07847725110

From the Manufacturer

Leviton's line of Heavy-Duty Specification Grade receptacles are designed and manufactured to withstand the most demanding environments. Available in a wide variety of configurations, including isolated ground, tamper-resistant, etc., these Commercial Grade devices are the electrical contractor's choice for use in hotels, schools, hospitals and commercial office buildings. 20 Amp, 125/250 Volt, Narrow Body Duplex Receptacle, Straight Blade, Commercial Grade, Self Grounding, Dual Voltage, Ivory.
    There are two kinds of people in this world, those who say there are two kinds of people and those who don't

The outlet's fine.

Your wiring job is the problem. You don't have enough conductors to meet code with what you're doing. 120v has to consist of a hot, neutral and ground. the 220v needs two hots and a ground. Where are you getting neutral from? Did you tie that to the ground? If so, you have no ground in that cord.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Originally made a power distribution box in my garage for this. Made the exact same mistake by not using a neutral. You're using the ground as the neutral which is against code. The ONLY WAY to have 120 and 220 in the same setup is to have a 4 wire setup so you have BOTH a ground and a neutral. Otherwise you're carrying current on the ground.

I stand corrected.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

I can't figure out how you guys are seeing that there are only three conductors. Assuming there are four conductors, that box doesn't have enough cubic inches to meet code anyway.

Tom, his last photo shows the other end of the cord. It's a 15a 220v plug with only 3 prongs. Where do you base your assumption that there could be 4 conductors?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I can't figure out how you guys are seeing that there are only three conductors. Assuming there are four conductors, that box doesn't have enough cubic inches to meet code anyway.
    <groan>.... I am so often reminded of exactly how much I do not know, for example, with this post.

Can you clarify this for my own edification? I was unaware of internal volume requirements, but I can speculate as to why there might be. I have certainly seen boxes that were literally stuffed full of wires, especially when a box is used as both a junction box and say an outlet, switch, or to support a light socket.

There's a sticky at the top of this Forum with a link to a pdf of the current electrical code. I see now where the last photo in the op showed the source of power for the box. Stop using it now.