Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Small Wood Pieces - GRR Ripper or ???

Cutting Small Wood Pieces - GRR Ripper or ???

How do you guys cut small wood parts - for lamps and the like?

I have a old Unisaw with the overarm guard - However, the way the guard is made you have to flip it back out the the way if you can pieces smaller than about 2" wide.
    I don't like doing that but sometimes i have to cut something a bit narrower.

If I start trying to make lamps those pieces are often a lot narrower than 2".

I was thinking I could flip the blade guard back and try one of those MICRO-JIG GRR Rippers - they are suppose to be able to cut down to as small as 1/4" x 1/4".

Any suggestions or thoughts on the GRR Ripper - GR200?

I have one of the original Grrippers and it works well for safely cutting narrow strips. I assume the new one adds some functionality. Just be sure to set it to thickness of the material you are cutting so that it applies good pressure to the piece between the blade and your fence.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Frohnert View Post
    How do you guys cut small wood parts - for lamps and the like?

I have a old Unisaw with the overarm guard - However, the way the guard is made you have to flip it back out the the way if you can pieces smaller than about 2" wide.
    I don't like doing that but sometimes i have to cut something a bit narrower.

If I start trying to make lamps those pieces are often a lot narrower than 2".

I was thinking I could flip the blade guard back and try one of those MICRO-JIG GRR Rippers - they are suppose to be able to cut down to as small as 1/4" x 1/4".

Any suggestions or thoughts on the GRR Ripper - GR200?
    I believe the GRR-Ripper even sells a replacement leg that is for cutting down to 1/8" thick. They have tons of accessories available for all kinds of tasks. Seems like the best system to come out yet! I plan to purchase a GR200 very soon!

DK - yes I see that 1/8 leg now. Wow that is really thin cutting.

Thanks for the advice Grant.

Blog Entries
    I have a couple of Grr-Rippers and use them extensively. Like any aid you use a lot they become an integral part of your thinking when you approach a cut. I have the 1/8" leg on one and use it to cut strips at that thickness. For small blocky parts the Grr-rippers work with varying success depending on what the cut it. They excel at holding things down to the table and against the fence while passing the blade. Another common method for small blocky parts for me is to hold the stock in 'something else' and then guide that 'something else' through the cut.

Small parts.jpg

This is a sort of ridiculous example but, you get the idea. I also turn to the bandsaw for awkward cuts or almost any cut when the stock is not milled flat and true. The band is much more tolerant than the precise and restricted tablesaw feed path.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-19-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: I can't spell before I have my coffee
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have two of the gripprs love em. I've replaced the rubber parts from just wearing it out! Had em forever

It'a funny, I just bought 2 Grrripers today and used them for a project I'm doing. The control you get is pretty good. Having my hand well above the blade felt very safe. I did ripping, trimming and dadoing. I'm definitely glad I bought them.

I have a Grripper too but I find the best method for cutting small pieces is to use my cross-cut sled which has T-tracks with clamps.
    The Gripper is not as safe IMO.

For me it depends on what I am cutting. If I am ripping something I use my GRR-Ripper and I feel very safe. I can control both the main piece and the offcut with my Gripper. I also have the 1/8th inch leg and have used it occasionally. For cross cuts I use my sled and some clamps. Both methods keep my hands well away from the blade and also give me complete control.
    Earl

I love the Gripper, but it is better suited for ripping unless the pieces you are cutting are large enough that it cannot rock. As others have said, for very small parts a sled and hold-downs would be better.
    I would recommend you get one or two Grippers anyway as you'll find them very useful for certain operations.

i use a bandsaw for cutting most my small pieces.

Getting one Gripper to start - I will also think about a sled for too! Thanks

Sometimes for very small parts, you need to create a "carrier jig" that you insert a small piece of stock into the jig and the whole assembly passes through the cut. Jigs and an assortment of narrow push blocks are very useful when you need to "go small"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Frohnert View Post
    Getting one Gripper to start - I will also think about a sled for too! Thanks
    I have 2 of them. One of the most used items in the shop.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    I have a Grripper too but I find the best method for cutting small pieces is to use my cross-cut sled which has T-tracks with clamps.
    The Gripper is not as safe IMO.
    On cross cuts but what about rips?