Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jet DC-1100 and DC-1200 Vortex Cone Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Baumgartner View Post
    Just for reference, older DC1200's have a spiral ramp where the inlet comes into the collector. This makes it much harder to mount either a Thien baffle or the Jet vortex cone. I had to make up some custom brackets to support the cone, but it seems to be working.
    That's what mine is like.

Can someone give me the diameter and the height of the point of the cone. I have a sheet metal roller and I can make one easily.

Larry

Larry
    The cone in 14 inches in diameter and the height is 4 inches. I just got mine in the mail 30 minutes ago. Was thinking that I could have turned this on my lathe as well. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Can someone give me the diameter and the height of the point of the cone. I have a sheet metal roller and I can make one easily.

Larry

Thanks, Larry

Another note: I just added 1"x 1/4" extra firm weather stripping around the barrels on my JET. The top one I ran just under the lip stretched the new bags over it and ran the band on the strip. The bottom one I did a little different, I rolled the weatherstrip just over the lip so the plastic bags would hit it and ran the band clamp jut above the lip. Took a little more time to get the clamps just right but when I dumped a dash of chalk into the hose nothing showed up this time and after using it for two days there is no fine dust around the collector. Wish I had done that a long time ago....

Larry

Based on the earlier posts I ordered the parts to upgrade my DC-1100 with the canister. No issues centering the cone and drilling the four holes and mounting the bracket and cone. I cleaned out the canister and fired u my dust collector. The sound of the dust collector running is different and I can tell a dramatic increase in the suction. I concur with the others that the approximately $50 for the parts and shipping was money well spent. Thank you to everyone for the guidance and recommendations.

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

Based on this thread I ordered the parts and put them in yesterday. It was an easy installation and took a few minutes to get bracket well centered.

I cleaned the canister filter out and am anxious to see how it works and keeps filter clean. It does sound a little different than before.

AAAAW, JET IS SOOOOO WONDERFUL. I saw this relatively old thread and went to order the part. Well after not selling it for a few years they sold it for a while and as soon as demand was noted the part number was changed to dc1100-ca and priced increased to over $100. I have a shop full of jet machines. I can tell you this: THERE WILL NEVER be a single jet and powermatic machine bought by me. I know that probably some will get upset from the harshness they feel toward Jet. Do I care, not a bit. I'm sure most companies have their pro bloggers everywhere these days but I'm sure most real customers/users are not so concerned about the company's feelings getting hurt by my statements.
    Last edited by tony mashadi; 03-12-2015 at 3:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tony mashadi View Post
    AAAAW, JET IS SOOOOO WONDERFUL. I saw this relatively old thread and went to order the part. Well after not selling it for a few years they sold it for a while and as soon as demand was noted the part number was changed to dc1100-ca and priced increased to over $100. I have a shop full of jet machines. I can tell you this: THERE WILL NEVER be a single jet and powermatic machine bought by me. I know that probably some will get upset from the harshness they feel toward Jet. Do I care, not a bit. I'm sure most companies have their pro bloggers everywhere these days but I'm sure most real customers/users are not so concerned about the company's feelings getting hurt by my statements.
    I was able to buy one when they first came out a couple of years ago. When I got it I had forgot to order the bracket and when I tried the parts were no longer available. I think it was around $35 total. If I was going to do something today, even if I could get it for $35, I would make one the way it was done in Phil's post. The link worked for me. I haven't looked at the filter lately but need to do so. I do notice the swirling in my DC.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

It would be really nice if some one could post the exact diameter and depth of the cone itself for those of us who missed the short period of time that jet was selling them at a decent price. I would greatly appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by tony mashadi View Post
    It would be really nice if some one could post the exact diameter and depth of the cone itself for those of us who missed the short period of time that jet was selling them at a decent price. I would greatly appreciate that.
    Tony
    See post #18. Scott said it was 14" diameter 4" high
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Wow i haven't checked this thread in a while i'm glad its working out for some people. I can't believe Jet raised the prices for these things by 300% but at least they are still available. If you click the link, it pulls up the page and has a link to the new part number at the top. The new part is DC1100-CA. In all fairness to Jet it looks like this new part number includes the bar and all the hardware needed for the install. So while there is still sticker shock, at least they finally made it a kit that people can easily order and complete the install. As someone who has done the upgrade, i would still gladly pay $100 for this improvement because it is worth it.

I did this upgrade to my Grizzly G1029Z dust collector. The diameter of the innerds are different (so the bar supplied by Jet was too short) so I made one out of bar stock from Home Depot. I will post pictures when I get to it.
    I haven't done a "suck" test yet, but I noticed the upper bag is not as hardcore inflated as it was without the conification of the machine.

When I first read about this upgrade that Jet did with their DC, but that the parts weren't available I found another thread about using a wok and making your own. This is the wok I used, made a mounting bracket out of some flat steel and added some bolts. Total cost was about $30 and the improvement to the machine was like night and day. When I do rotate the cleaner, there are only fines that drop down, certainly nothing like the huge clumps of chips and stuff that clogged my filter before.

This may not be the exact size and shape that Jet makes but it works wonders in my machine.
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Treibs View Post
    I did this upgrade to my Grizzly G1029Z dust collector. The diameter of the innerds are different (so the bar supplied by Jet was too short) so I made one out of bar stock from Home Depot. I will post pictures when I get to it.
    I haven't done a "suck" test yet, but I noticed the upper bag is not as hardcore inflated as it was without the conification of the machine.
    That is actually a negative, it means you're moving less air.