Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jet DC-1100 and DC-1200 Vortex Cone Upgrade

Phil, Thanks for the response.

What I forgot to mention (and someone can chime and tell me if this is still wrong) is that I used 2 of the 2.5 micron filter bags from Grizzly. 1 on top and the other on the bottom to catch the debris. This is probably why the top is less "inflated" because the bottom bag is now as inflated as the top was before I installed the cone. I installed the bottom felt bag because it seems that the thick felt has a better seal around the strap then the plastic bags do.

Jeremy
    Last edited by Jeremy Treibs; 05-05-2015 at 3:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Treibs View Post
    Phil, Thanks for the response.

What I forgot to mention (and someone can chime and tell me if this is still wrong) is that I used 2 of the 2.5 micron filter bags from Grizzly. 1 on top and the other on the bottom to catch the debris. This is probably why the top is less "inflated" because the bottom bag is now as inflated as the top was before I installed the cone. I installed the bottom felt bag because it seems that the thick felt has a better seal around the strap then the plastic bags do.

Jeremy
    Yep, you're correct.

3. i just checked for these parts and it seems that Tony M is right. they changed the part number and the cone is now over $100! When I replace my DC, it will definitely not be a Jet because of this. I'd love for someone from Jet to come on here and rationalize this. All these tool companies have people monitoring these discussion boards. I'm disgusted!

My initial reaction to this was the same as yours but i think you have to remember two things. First of all the new part that i referenced above is for the entire kit not just the cone. I don't know if that will make you feel much better about it but it is at least something. Second, and i think this is the thing a lot of people forget, is that Jet is running a business. They obviously noticed there was a market for doing this kind of upgrade, and they probably noticed there was a dip in dust collector sales because of it. I have no affiliation with Jet, but unfortunately this is nothing more that good old supply and demand driving market prices. They have something people obviously want, and they are going to maximize their profit to get it. It's hard to really come down on them that hard for that.

I also think it is noteworthy that Jet are the folks that designed and tested this technology. People are buying these parts and installing them on other brand dust collectors. The only mistake i think Jet is making, is that they should be putting these parts in a pretty box and selling them as a fancy new upgrade. Take Jet out of the picture. If some other company had developed this new accessory for a dust collector that dramatically increased the performance and told you it could be all yours for $100, nobody in here can tell me they wouldn't be tempted to jump on it. Jet is still selling this as spare parts and people are getting pissed because they view it as getting screwed on spare part prices, instead of seeing it as a low cost alternative to buying a new $600 dust collector.

Jet also could have completely redesigned the housing to make it so these parts didn't fit on the older models. If they did this we would have all been forced to buy new units if we wanted the technology. I respect everyone's opinion, and like i said I'm not linked to Jet in any way. I think you just have to look at their side of the story. When these parts were $30 they were always out of stock. If you were in business and had a product you couldn't keep on the shelf what would you do? You would raise the price and maximize profits.

Cheers everyone. All i can tell you is this upgrade is worth $100. I have had it installed for a while now and i will never go back. Its totally worth it.

I'm not sure what is going on with this thread but there are supposed to be three pages worth of posts but the third page never shows up. Is there some setting i'm screwing up as the original poster? Can everyone else see three pages (35 posts) worth of data.

For what its worth i'm still loving this upgrade. Just fantastic.

Does anyone know if there is an upgrade path for the DC-1200 with the cloth filter bag? I would really like to make some changes to my DC efficiency, but everything I see is for the canister filter version of these DC's. I bought mine about 15 years ago, and then it sat for the better part of 10 years with very little activity on it. I am thinking/hoping there ius a replacement canister for the bag that would then also let me adapt this change discussed in this thread. Any one done anything with a DC-1200 cloth filter bag?

Thanks in advance

Joe

If you look right at the original post it states the parts for the 1200 are the same as the 1100. The dimensions are all the same. So if you look at parts for replacement bags or a canister for the top of a 1200 i believe you will find they are the exact same parts for the 1100. Same goes for the cone upgrade. Without doing a bunch of research, I'm pretty sure the only difference between the 1100 and the 1200 is the HP of the motor. If there are any other difference they would be in the fan housing, but the filter/bag part of the units are exactly the same.

Hope this helps

Has this item ever been evaluated by a magazine or such? If it really works as well as claimed it would obsolete cyclones. Naturally I am skeptical.

I don't know about magazines but I can tell you from personal experience the difference is significant. I don't think it will necessarily replace cyclones because a lot of the Cyclones have a much bigger capacity. They may replace smaller cyclones. I can tell you I wanted to get rid of this before I did the upgrade but now I can't see any reason to ever upgrade unless I get a much bigger space that requires a bigger unit. Also just to be clear the biggest benefit I see of this upgrade is the fact that you never lose suction because the top filter barely ever clogs. Anyway hope this helps. The vortex cone is not a gimmick it really does work.

Things have changed since your posting. I did a retrofit on a Jet 1100 with canister and it works great. The only problem is Jet now charges $105 for the cone and bracket. I also wanted to upgrade my Delta 50-850 but didn't want to spend the $105+. About the same time I bought a new Powermatic 1300TX which has the cone vortex. Looking thru the manual, in the parts diagram I noticed the cone. Part number is PM1300-155. It costs about $32.00. The part number for the bracket was listed but the PM tech couldn't find it in his catalog. Anyway, I bot the cone and went to Home Depot. Bot a metal strap and the required bolts and nuts for $10-15. Easy to fabricate the bracket. For less than $50 you can upgrade your machine. Next step was to replace the bag with a Wynn canister filter. Jet wants $350; Wynn was about $200.

See my post on the Powermatic cone for $32.00.

I have a question regarding this upgrade. I have access to several different dust collectors, a Jet DC-1100, a Grizzly G1029Z, and a Delta unit. I measured all the units and found the exterior diameter of the center partition of all the units to be about 20". However the inner opening is 9 3/8" on the Jet unit and 11 1/2" on the Delta and Grizzly units. My question is whether or not the Jet upgrade cone will have the same result on the Delta and Grizzly units because of this difference or if the cone will need to be a larger diameter. Thanks for your help on this.

I have the Grizzly G1029z and I did this modification. The pre-bended bar doesn't exactly meet the angle of the grizzly inards but I made it work by changing the angle of the bar. As far as I can tell based off amount of dust in upper bag, this mod is very successful in the G1029z.

14. Thanks for the great info. I just picked up a dc 1100m. I found the cone for $34 on http://www.toolpartspro.com/jet-part...dex-47-thru-53 At this time, the do not have the bracket, but ToolPartsDirect had it for about $7.

https://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cata...=+DC1100-47-1+

Just thought I’d add this to help anyone else looking to do this upgrade.

I just registered for this site and will continue to enjoy using it. Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallet Jencso View Post
    Thanks for the great info. I just picked up a dc 1100m. I found the cone for $34 on http://www.toolpartspro.com/jet-part...dex-47-thru-53 At this time, the do not have the bracket, but ToolPartsDirect had it for about $7.
    Thanks for posting this! I'm back to woodworking after 9 years and upgrading my equipment. It appears that the link above contains the cone and the bracket and mounting hardware. Much better than trying to locate the individual parts from various sources. I ordered one today and it says ships in 1-2 weeks.
    Last edited by Roger Bull; 12-04-2017 at 6:47 PM.