Thread: Looking for Crosscut Tree Rings

Looking for Crosscut Tree Rings

Hi All,

While I am a turner and I am turning some platters for my cousin wedding next year, she has asked me if I can come up with 10" - 12" by 1 1/4" rings of trees with bark still on to be used as center peices for her wedding reception. She would like them clean with a clear finish on them and while cracks are OK, she doesn't want any gapping cracks.

I am not sure where to find such a thing. I do nto have have the equipment to cut them myself however I can finish them

Anyone know where I can get something like this either by mail or in the S.E. Michigan area? Dried would be prefered however I can dry them myself with Denatured Alcohol.

I need 15 - 20.

Jeff

Basswood crosscuts are sold in several venues - usually for woodburning, but they should work fine for what you are wanting. Here is one source - http://www.sawdustconnection.com/Bas...d-Products.htm

Google "cookie cut lumber" and click on the "shopping" tab. This will show multiple sellers at what appear to be wildly different pricing. A general search on the term will give instructions for making your own, but I am guessing they are too small to satisfy the bride, as they recommend using a limb saw to cut them.

If you are confident you can dry them yourself without gapping cracks, try calling a local tree service and ask them to cut them for you. Crosscuts are easy for chainsaws and the wood is free to them, so you might get a good price. You might have to do some work cleaning up the faces after they dry. If you want the bark to stay on, get them from wood cut in the winter.

where do you live in s.e. michigan?

dan Jechura
    temperance. mich

I live in a big city and they are easy to find. The hydro crews come around looking for dangerous trees, then mark them with orange dots.
    When I see one of those, I staple gun a message on to call me before cutting it. And about 50% of the time they do.

With a little persuasion and charm the crews will often cut it just how I want - it helps them since I haul the stuff away.
    Just spend 10 min bonding with them and show your work. They usually become very friendly and helpful.
    I have offered to pay before, but none have actually insisted on it.

Here's my latest haul:
    IMG_0402.jpgIMG_0404.jpg Sorry, dunno why its upside down

Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Jechura View Post
    where do you live in s.e. michigan?

dan Jechura
    temperance. mich
    Hi Dan,

I live in Troy MI.