Thread: well, it is installed

Cool well, it is installed

One screen door, into the existing frame, using the existing hinges and latch
    screen door install.jpg
    during the last test fit. The lock rail hinge fell right dead on a tenon
    lock rail hinge.jpg
    Latch seems to work ok, had to drill thre holes into my NEW DOOR!
    door latch.jpg

The spring closer has been re-installed, too. Now you can hear that "Sproiiiiiiing" whenever the door is opened, or slammed shut...

Might be a hair better than those at the BORGS?

Congrats, Steve! Looks nice.

Nice job, Steve! In your other thread on this subject, you mentioned that at least some of the tenons would be wedged, and others pinned. Would you mind expanding on which you chose for the various joints? I assume the stile between the panels was pinned, and the top and bottom rails wedged, but that's just a reasonable guess.
    Last edited by Bill Moser; 10-18-2014 at 5:45 PM. Reason: typo

All outside tenons were wedged and pinned. Draw-bore and pine just didn't work out, so i pipe clamped them down and then added the pins. Center stile was just pinned.

Hi Steven,

Nice job. I love it when woodworking or carpentry saves a few bucks, and you did that! Cool.

Stew

Blog Entries
    The only problem with a new screen door is it makes the rest of the house look like it needs a paint job.

Nice work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hey Steven, why did you go with two different styles for the bottom panels? Not apparent to me why you woldn't make them the same on something like this door?

This is what happens late at night in the shop. Got in a hurry, fighting the panels into their places, amongst all the other parts. Wound up with one panel facing in, and one facing out. By the time the dummy realized WHAT had happened, he already had the other rail pinned and wedged in place. And no way to get THAT panel out and flip it over. Lesson learned: SLOW DOWN and look at the part, BEFORE I slide it into place.

Down on the bottom rail, near the center stile: A knot had blown out when the groove was poughed out. Will be filling that hole, before the top coat of paint.

hey, at least the door works good, and looks BETTER than the metal POS it replaced. It MIGHT even be better than one you could buy at the BORGS...

I got distracted by the crack in the panel,and failed to notice it was in backwards!!

Agreed,with full depth tenons,the door should be more sturdy than a borg door.

George: Tis not a crack you be seeing there. It is the glue joint between two borg boards, with one having a wee touch of wane.

The biggest thing? The Other Half LOVES the new door. Happy Wife = Happy Life....

Blog Entries
    Wound up with one panel facing in, and one facing out.
    At least it matches the other side.

When my shoes or socks don't match and someone mentions it, my comment is that I have another pair just like them at home.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)