Thread: Real Life Project List?

Blog Entries

Real Life Project List?

Does "real life" cause other posters issues while making plans to do the projects you want to do? I have been working on a cabinet rebuild this week, instead of working on my new workbench, nice tool storage cabinets, Windsor Chairs.... My issue was I started with a MDF throw together kit from one of the home stores. For some reason, I could not make myself just throw the cheap thing away and start from scratch, which I'm sure would have been easier. I mean, is recycling MDF really recycling wood? The guy who started me in woodworking use to say don't try to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. The cabinet will hold all the dog food clients leave for boarding dogs, how nice does it need to be? Dog food is heavy, and the dogs run into and jump on everything so it needed to be much stronger than it was.

I have all these "real life" projects that need doing, especially for my business. I also have this list of much more interesting, more esoteric projects I would much prefer to be doing. I am wondering how the average SMCer balances those two lists? How about when said "woodworker" reaches 65, not that I am that old of course?

Blog Entries
    Having bought an 1836 home and spent the last 8 months fixing it up, I have accepted the fact that all the little projects, like fixing the shutter that fell off the other day, will be my woodworking fix for a while. I decided to do these things meander style, like the drip ledges I made with an old Ohio Tool moulding plane. It was a fun project- all 16 of them.

That said, I am building two kayaks in a class I teach on Saturdays, and a wood clock with wooden gears as a surprise for my wife. Oh, and a chair for my sister-in-law. All projects get done nights and weekends.

Blog Entries
    ^^^That's "neander," not "meander," although I do meander around at times when I should be woodworking, so either works. :-)

Life always finds a way to get in the way. For me sometimes it's a money thing, sometimes a family thing. I usually find a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Does "real life" cause other posters issues while making plans to do the projects you want to do? I have been working on a cabinet rebuild this week, instead of working on my new workbench, nice tool storage cabinets, Windsor Chairs.... My issue was I started with a MDF throw together kit from one of the home stores. For some reason, I could not make myself just throw the cheap thing away and start from scratch, which I'm sure would have been easier. I mean, is recycling MDF really recycling wood? The guy who started me in woodworking use to say don't try to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. The cabinet will hold all the dog food clients leave for boarding dogs, how nice does it need to be? Dog food is heavy, and the dogs run into and jump on everything so it needed to be much stronger than it was.

I have all these "real life" projects that need doing, especially for my business. I also have this list of much more interesting, more esoteric projects I would much prefer to be doing. I am wondering how the average SMCer balances those two lists? How about when said "woodworker" reaches 65, not that I am that old of course?

I don't...that's why I'm still working on the jewelry box I started in march, my saw till is leaning up as a pile of rough cut boards, my workbench took a couple of years to build, I still haven't built the side table for my study, etc. etc. etc.

Of course, if a project of necessity comes up, I'll pull out the power tools and get it done. That work just doesn't satisfy me much, personally anymore. S

Blog Entries
    There are only so many hours in a day.

Try throwing in a weekly visit to the Farmers Market to sell things made during the week. People often suggest items they would buy if only you had one. Some of these folks come back, some don't. The good part is it is usually something others will purchase.

Then someone comes along and buys all of your bigger items. After that it is a busy week trying to have something to sell. What is really crazy is all the people who say, "we'll think about it" or "be back later for that." I could get rich if each of them gave us a dollar. A few weeks ago some woman who seemed a bit off said she would buy some things when she got paid on the first. She asked for an alteration on the potting bench. My wife thought she was a bit flakey. She almost convinced me not to do the alteration. Some people came by and expressed interest. The "flakey" woman came buy and gave us close to $300 for all the stuff she wanted. As we were getting ready to leave the other couple came back and were a little miffed that we sold the potting bench to someone else. My solution is to try and have two on hand.

Next Saturday is the last weekend for the Farmers Market. Not likely to have another potting bench by then. But will try to have the honey dippers, muddlers and spoons people said they might come back to buy.

Then of course there is the gardening side of selling at the Farmers Market. Growing plants from seeds, cuttings and divisions is one of the time takers. Trying to grow some vegetables to sell is another time eater.

Now that I am retired I wonder how I ever found time to go to work and hold down a job!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There are some things that are worthy exchanges of money for time.

Something for dogs, perhaps I would hire that out.
    Something for me and mine to use - that's why I build things.

For instance, I'll build my one-off bathroom cabinet but I'll buy stock cabs for my kitchen remodel.
    The kitchen will get door and face frames I make, but the hanging carcass - so long as it's plumb and straight...

Here's my build list for things I want to make in my house.

Dining table (done in 2009).
    Night stands for the master suite
    Bathroom stand for SWMBO (done in 2013)
    Downstairs bathroom remodel (done in 2014)
    Couch large enough to seat SWMBO and two growing boys - up next

As to building stuff in the shop, if you enjoy that - then it's therapy.
    I only have so many hours per week in my dank sanctorum (Danktorum)
    and only grudgingly build tools that I could purchase.