Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shop ceiling material

shop ceiling material

I have a small shop that needs a ceiling but I don't want to put up sheet rock or plywood or OSB or ...

I' m wondering if there is something else I can install and be installed by one person.

Could you do the steel they use in pole barns?

I am going to do 1/3 sheets of ply - 48X32ea. Mine is not small though. Very high at 16' too.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I just finished installing a drop ceiling in my shop and very pleased with it. I did it myself. My shop is 30' X 50' and my ceiling is 12'. I got my panels free from a building being renovated. I just had to buy the main rails, cross tees, and wire. I have about $250 in this. The ceiling has light reflection and sound deadening properties and doesn't require any painting or finishing. Here is a picture I posted regarding a insulation question. Also note I had never installed a drop ceiling before and it came out nice.
    image.jpg

Blog Entries
    I put a drop ceiling in my shop. I even made the runners and cross tees out of wood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'm in the same position. I want something tougher than sheetrock, OSB is ugly. I thought about using half sheets of 3/8 plywood. I have seen a few ceilings made of sheet metal siding and I am thinking of using it. Considering it comes pre-painted, it is cheaper than plywood and primer/paint. I have a 20x20 garage and I'm thinking of using 10 ft. sheets with a seam in the middle. I don't think I cam manage 20 ft. sheets in a shop full of tools.

John

Here's three pictures of the pole barn Metal on my shop ceiling The pictures are upside down
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Wood is good if it is a wood shop.
    foto 5-8_2.jpg

I have a suspended ceiling with the metal frame and the drop in ceiling tiles. Got the ceiling for helping remove it from the local bank during a remodel. Asked the banker about it, they were already started removing it. They were planning to haul it to the dump, so my help was appreciated. They even delivered it and helped me stack it. I used all the used stuff except the wall angle. Too slow to remove and save.I put R19 2x4 batts on top of it, and have added a layer of r11 to about half, and plan to finish that layer this winter. Like to do that job when it is cold, so that I need a hooded sweatshirt and the respirator doesn't sweat too much.

John,
    What are the dimensions of the sheet metal and did you add insulation?

32 x 15' 6 " you can get it at the Borgs in 1 foot increments originally I had them put in 12 inches of insulation when I added air conditioning I had them put another 8 inches I can blow it clean with an Air nozzle, easy to hang the lights and conduit to it , I like it
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

1/4" plywood (walls are 3/4")
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks to all who replied, you gave me some very good options

I have seen guys use vinyl soffit material, look good and is light weight so you can install it yourself
    Richard

Homosote.

Just nail it up and be done with it. No mudding or painting required.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Grano View Post
    I have a small shop that needs a ceiling but I don't want to put up sheet rock or plywood or OSB or ...

I' m wondering if there is something else I can install and be installed by one person.

Jason, is that homosote treated so it is non-flammable? The panels for suspended ceiling are treated.