Yeah Jim, that is correct, no carriage, just the compound. My brother agreed it was pretty odd. There's a locking plate under the compound so that you can set it for a precise angle, for instance at the moment I have it set at 90 degrees to the ways and it is returnable by loosening the compound and pushing it against the side of the ways and locking it back down. But that's it, no wheel/gears/etc for moving the cross slide down the bed. So it appears it will have to be fixed and then you have the 2 cross slides to make the movements plus of course the pivot between the 2 cross slides. So as I have it right now the base slide is set to be perpendicular to the ways, if the top slide is set parallel to that it will move in a cross bed/ facing movement, if it is perpendicular it will move in a parallel to the ways turning/sizing movement. The locking plate is removeable so the base slide could be set parallel to the ways and be used as a short carriage with the pivot and top slide to set angle of cutt along that axis.

Odd by today's standards and pretty limiting but seems to be fairly common for some lathes in this age range, bench lathes anyway. Other makes I've looked at from the same 1890s to 1910s era seem to be similar. From what I've found the maker went out of business around 1904 or 1906, (spotty records) and while their name was bought out by some other company they only made the specialized tooling that fits the lathes from the original company not the actual tools from what I can find.

To address some of your other points, I didn't receive an extra set of jaws but it appears if you run the jaws all the way out they can be reversed and run back in which could serve the same purpose. Actually I just ran out and pushed them all the way out of the scroll and they do indeed come off but can not be put back in reversed, they bind in the scroll almost immediately. So no, other that using the steps on the out side of the jaws to grip a recess I don't have the ability to clamp outward. And while I didn't have them yet when I received the lathe I do now have the belt and tool holder and a nice selection of tooling along with it. Unfortunately I will be a while before I can get around to building a proper bench to put in on and work on mounting it correctly. I think I've got a good handle on the mounting it will need but it will take a little experimenting once I get a bench together deep enough to mount it. Thanks for your input, anything else you can add that might be helpful would be appreciated.

Jon