Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right angle drill/driver,is it a good buy?

Right angle drill/driver,is it a good buy?

I have thought of buying a right angle drill/driver a few times in the past (when I thought it would be the right tool for the job) but never bought one since I always found a way around it to do the task ,Today I got stock putting pocket screws in a tight space so again I thought it would be great to have one of these right angle drills.

I was wondering what's your opinion on owning this tool,do you find it a "non essential" tool in your shop (if you own one) or is it something you don't regret having it around.

I have 3 right angle drills. When I need them they paid for them selves ,The rest of the time they collect dust I would not be without one.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

They seem to be the sort of tool that when you need it you need it.

The add on variety seem a bit compromised though compared to using a normal power driver. I have this Famag which is well made - cheaper ones can be prone to breakage: http://www.famag.com/en/news/2013/09_26.aspx Invonveniences include that the screwdriver bit is not well retained in the hex socket in the drive output - with the result that it easily pops out to fall where its hard to recover. Also that in a tight space it's often not possible possible to apply a lot of force to seat the tip of the bit in the screw, with the result that it's awkward to drive tight screws in awkward places. The final issue is that since the gerbox assembly flops about on the spindle it has to be oriented vertically above the screw in use.

It seems likely that the type that mounts rigidly on the housing of a drill/driver, or a purpose made permanent right angle driver might be a bit easier to use - but more expensive and perhaps less compact: http://toolguyd.com/makita-12v-right-angle-drill/ ...
    Last edited by ian maybury; 10-19-2014 at 5:17 PM.

I bought a right angle attachment from HF. It certainly is not as good as a dedicated RA but has worked well the few times that I've needed it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have 2 and consider them essential. I often find a right angle drill more comfortable to use even when it it not necessary.

I have the old Makita 9.6V right angle drill and the Makita corded right angle drill which is crazy powerful considering it's size.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-DA3010F...dp/B0000789HO/

Its not the drill I use the most but I wouldn't be without one, because sometimes its the only thing that fits. Presently I have a milwakee M12 version, came free with the bundle I got last winter, 2 batteries, a drill driver, and any of a variety of M12 accessories. I chose the right angle....really sweet little drill, tons of power in these latest round of L-ion 12V tools. I also have one of those right angle attachments......painful but effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I also have one of those right angle attachments......painful but effective.
    Yeah- I have this little doobie- http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-3...dp/B0000224AW/

Sometimes it is a life saver.

Blog Entries
    I have a 14V Dewalt right angle cordless drill. I use it a few times each year. It came as part of the set I purchased. It is handy when you need it, but is more difficult to control than the regular cordless drill. It still requires a pretty big space to get into, just not as much as a regular drill.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

While I don't have a dedicated tool, I do have the right-angle head for my Festool drill/driver...and yes, there are "just those times" when having the right-angle capability comes in handy, especially in close quarters during a build or during an installation of something built-in. So if you have a "deal" available to you, it could be something nice to add to your arsenal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the 19.2 volt Craftsman drill. It takes 2 hands to tighten the chuck and its hard to get tight. The battery can get in the way when in tight places. If I had it to do over, I would get one of the corded models that isn't quite a right angle with a keyed chuck.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John A langley View Post
    I have 3 right angle drills. When I need them they paid for them selves ,The rest of the time they collect dust I would not be without one.
    ^^^ This (although I only have two drills). The Festool system is great (drill, with right angle adapter as well as a driver that goes tight into corners).

Thank you,it seems to me this tool is the type that could sit in it's box for a long time unused but when you need it you really need it ,I don't have many tools like that ,maybe my biscuit jointer but at any rate,I am thinking I'll use it often enough to justify the cost so I am now looking at
    Milwaukee 2415-20 works with M12 battery pack since I have the batteries and it has good reviews and it's not that expensive,this is the one I'll be buying,the Makita is also a good alternative.
    Thank you all for your comments.

Blog Entries
    I do have a dedicated right angle drill motor but, find that I use this more often. The BORG's around me carry them but, they are also available at the usual specialty shops. It has served me for drilling and driving in tight spots.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I do have a dedicated right angle drill motor but, find that I use this more often. The BORG's around me carry them but, they are also available at the usual specialty shops. It has served me for drilling and driving in tight spots.
    I have the M12 right angle and a big corded Milwaukee. Foe the longest time I used the corded Milwaukee cabinet close quarter drill. The new one is not getting great reviews though. I used it a lot and it was a good compromise. It could not handle the big bits I was using in a remodel. They now have impact right angle tools, you might want to consider. Dan

I have the Bosch PS11-2A swiveling head 12V 1/4" driver. A lifesaver for installing the technical cabinetry I build. I also have a Milwaukee 3/8" corded close quarters corded drill 0370-20, and the big Milwaukee 1/2" corded 3102-6 right angle drill.

The Bosch I use all the time. The others collect dust a lot of the time, but are absolutely invaluable for what they are used for. I wouldn't give any up willingly.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine