Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Right angle drill/driver,is it a good buy?

I think it's unnecessary. In fact, washerhead pocket screws are easy to overdrive, so unless your angle drill has a clutch, I'd be leery of driving with it.

Rather, for drilling/driving in tight spaces, I think an impact driver is a better investment.

For SANDING irregular surfaces, like on the lathe, I think a right angle drill is indispensible.

I have five of them. I use them mostly for sanding on my lathe. One is my go to drill and the others are backups in case the go to fails. It's a HF model that I have been using for about six years now. I have used it pretty heavily in that period of time. I think that it is afraid to break, since I have replacements on hand. With HF coupons and their frequent sales, you would not be out a lot of money to have one "just in case".

There are times when there's no other practical way to drill in a confined space. They're like faucet wrenches, or, heck, a set of jumper cables -- when you need one nothing else will do.

Milwaukee made some that weren't true right angles (more like 135º), so less useful, IMO, since they couldn't get into as tight a space.

I have an attachment, I use it sometimes. I think that a dedicated unit is likely to work better (meaning it will have a smaller profile to get into smaller spaces). I also have a flexible shaft that I can attach to my drill bit. It cannot handle as much torque, but I have used it to good effect, even if it is not trivial to accomplish (I think it is met for lower torque applications).

I have the Milwaukee 2415-20 pointed out by Ken M. It works great! I have struggled in the past when I needed one. I finally broke down and bought one. It's essential.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I have the Milwaukee 2415-20 pointed out by Ken M. It works great! I have struggled in the past when I needed one. I finally broke down and bought one. It's essential.
    I'm sure I would not regret owning one ,Yesterday I used a 1/4" ratchet with a Robertson bit to pocket screw in the 4 aprons (in a small stool) ,it did the job but was not the right tool for it.

More of a 45 degree than right angle, but I use the Milwaukee close quarter drill quite a bit. Bought it for disk sanding on the lathe but find it pretty handy in, well, close quarters. If I didn't have it I'd want a right angle drill.