Thread: 1221vs Power Switch

1221vs Power Switch

G'day all. I've been working on a box and I keep hitting the power switch while hollowing out the inside of the base. I'm thinking about making a little box, open on one end or maybe one of those little plastic berry baskets, to cover it. I thought I might just attach the box with rare earth magnets. Has anyone else done something similar?

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

I occasionally hit it while hollowing.

I wouldn't want it covered though. I think it's important to be able to hit it quickly and easily if you get in trouble.

I had a same problem when a made a cabinet stand for my 1221 and had the lathe too close to the edge of the top, I move the lathe back an inch and now my hip hits the edge of the top rather than the switch. If you have the lathe on a stand you could put a piece of sheet goods between the lathe and the stand to keep your hip from hitting the switch.

Dan

@2 Dans

Thanks guys. I agree that it would be safer to be able to quickly power down. My lathe is close to the front edge of the cabinet because it was easier for me to get the mounting bolts on that way. Obviously I didn't think things through re hollowing. I'm going to cut a 1/2" piece of mdf to fit around the lathe leg sticking out far enough that I'll hit the mdf with my hip rather than the switch. It seems that I read something once that spoke to the switch position and that it should have been on the headstock end. Thanks for getting me to think more about a sensible solution.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

They moved the switch (compared to the 1220, which was my first lathe) as a safety feature. If turning from the end you do not have to reach over the spinning wood to shut the machine down. Many of us with larger machines mount a secondary switch for just that purpose.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks for that info, Thom. I think the switch on the 1014 I had was on the left side.

Here's my solution:

switch barrier off w.JPG
    Project Salvager