Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domino Box

Domino Box

My family enjoys dominos, especially my Dad. It's a nice game to play while you visit or have coffee after dinner or a drink with friends. We just play simple 5 up most of the time. I found a nice older set of green bakelite (or similar) ones and gave them to Dad. When visiting over the summer, I noticed the original plastic box was really beat and cracking a generally falling apart. I decided to whip up a wooden replacement. I wasn't planning to make anything elaborate at the outset, just stout and nice looking.

So I looked around at available stock and found a nice pear board that would provide more than enough stock - would be handsome, and nice to work to boot. It had a nice live edge and I decided to try to incorporate it into the box. I decided half blind dovetails would be strong and look alright, and after laying them out decided I might make the box have some legs or undercuts to make it easier to pick up and just give it a bit of lift. I choose a little piece of blue mahoe I had around to make the top and bottom panels - quick resaw on the bandsaw and hand planed. I didn't want hinges, so I decided to build in a lining that would allow for a fitted top. Some scraps of ebony - what the heck, right? After cutting the box apart with my douzuki (for its super thin blade) and putting in the ebony lining, I realized the top fit beautifully in the original orientation, but was slightly imperfect in the opposite orientation, so I needed a way to let the user easily know how to orient the top. I choose to inlay a slice of vera (argentine lignum) for it's green color and made some holly dowels with my plate to be the pips - five-up of course ;-)

I next decided it needed a handle or knob of some sort to make it really simple to pull off the top. I found a nice bit of plum branch (love that stuff) and began shaping it. I just kind of began by following its natural shape. It started looking a lot like a bone, and so rather than fight it, I just decided to embrace it. Dominoes are referred to as "bones" sometimes anyway as the oldest ones where often made from bone or ivory.

While building it over the past couple weeks, I came across a nice black set that fits the box too. Dad can choose - green or black.

So just a simple little wooden box. Hope Dad likes it. Hope you do too.

Last edited by Sean Hughto; 10-19-2014 at 10:31 PM.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Pretty nice for just whipping something up!!
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I'm sure it will be used for many years to come.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Very nice! I'm certain he will appreciate the time you put into the design and execution.....I do.
    I like it when items like this are unique in appearance, even makes their "sentimental value" go up over time.

Jim

Very cool, creative, and very well executed. Any dad would be thrilled. Great job and thanks for sharing it.

Bob

Most excellent, I really like the handle!

How did you remove material to make the "legs"?

Thanks,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Very nicely done Sean! Your father will cherish it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Andrew, Lee, Chris, Bob, Jim, and Ken, thank you all for your kind comments. It's great to have fellow woodworkers offer encouragement.

Chris, I carved out the sides for the "legs" aspect with a couple of carving gouges - Swiss Made fwiw.

I shaped the handle mostly with rasps.

The finish is super blonde shellac (bt&c) and wax (black bison pine).

Thanks again, all!
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Pretty wild. Normally I'm against useing remains as handles ....making an exception here! Sean, your work will never be
    described as "derivative".

Thanks, Mel. I understand my taste is not necessarily shared by many. My bliss in the shop is following my own nose as the individual pieces of trees I've collected inspire me. A collaboration with a live medium. I like wresting objects into reality that I've never seen.

Thanks for the reply on the legs; I need to generate a similar profile and have been mulling over how best to do it. Likely will follow the same route. (no pun intended).

And FWIW I really enjoy you work and also resonate with letting the medium strongly influence form.

Thanks for posting.

C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    I like your box Sean. I like the dominos you found too.

I'm sure your dad will love it.

PHM

Just looked up dominoes and see that they were, for along time,made of bone and boxed in wood. So there is some
    reference to that tradition in a most original design.

Ayup. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-OF-28-...-/291267859583

Thanks, Paul. If you want a set, check eBay for Puremco (a Waco, TX outfit) vintage dominoes. There are usually many offered and go for like between $10 AND $50 depending upon condition and characteristics. Green, red, blue, black, ivory, and so forth in thicknesses from standard to extra thick and even super thick, I think. They are made from a nice sort of bakelite/catilan feeling plastic and have a good feel in your hands. If you get a well used set, you can polish them up easily with a little Blue Magic compound.
    Last edited by Sean Hughto; 10-21-2014 at 10:12 AM.

I aspire to your style and crafstmanship (and photography skills). Thanks for posting.
    I relate to your process of shaping and letting the wood reveal what it wants to be. How is the handle attached?