Thread: Safe to use 80W tube with 130W power supply if current is kept to safe limits?

Safe to use 80W tube with 130W power supply if current is kept to safe limits?

My new Z6 failed. It should get replaced under warranty, I had to send in a video. In the mean time I need my laser to work so I have put back in my 80W tube. It would sure save me a bunch of work if I din't have to rewire the old power supply, then do it again when the replacement tube arrives.

Has anyone used a larger than recommended power supply without issues? I have an ammeter so it is easy for me to limit the current. I would think that as long as the current is within recommended limits for the tube that it should be okay. I have asked Reci, they said "you might as well use the DY10" - I hate it when you ask direct questions and then get answers like that.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

"you might as well use the DY10"
    Likely Chinglish for "You must use the DY10 Rich, the strike voltage of the DY10 is 20KV, the strike of the larger 130 watt is 28KV, it will cook your electrodes if you use a higher rated supply and damage the coating on them (it's only PVD so not the toughest or thickest surface in the world)
    Remember the voltage is pushing the current over an increased length of circa 500mm on the more powerful tube.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

From some points, the bigger laser power works with small power laser tube , the reverse will be forbidden, so your Z6 power with 80w tube ,it can although it is not the best

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    My new Z6 failed. It should get replaced under warranty, I had to send in a video. In the mean time I need my laser to work so I have put back in my 80W tube. It would sure save me a bunch of work if I din't have to rewire the old power supply, then do it again when the replacement tube arrives.

Has anyone used a larger than recommended power supply without issues? I have an ammeter so it is easy for me to limit the current. I would think that as long as the current is within recommended limits for the tube that it should be okay. I have asked Reci, they said "you might as well use the DY10" - I hate it when you ask direct questions and then get answers like that.
    Lucy Lee
    G.WEIKE LASER
    c-504 Inhi Tech Squre High Tech Zone ,Jinan China

So I decided to install my 80W power supply right next to my other one. I put connectors on both the positive leads so that they can be swapped easily. I still have to solder the negative lead when I do the switch but that is not such a big deal.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408