Thread: Raptor setup tools

Raptor setup tools

Raptor setup tools, anyone used them?
    Like them? Max Taylor

I bought a set a while back, before I had a CBN wheel. They do help create a consistant grind which can be important when developing muscle memory. They compensate for the changing diameter of the wheel by measuring from a chord near the face and giving the correct angle for either the varigrind or the platform. You do have to set the varigrind to their specification to get the correct nose angle.

This is not a big problem with the CBN wheels because the wheel is not constantly changing diameter.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

They r fairly easy to make. I'm sure a vid exsist somewhere. Set up your jig for your bevel grind. Use card board and a marker to draw the arc. Cut one out from 1/8" ply.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Tuunanen View Post
    They r fairly easy to make. I'm sure a vid exsist somewhere. Set up your jig for your bevel grind. Use card board and a marker to draw the arc. Cut one out from 1/8" ply.

Cheers
    Harvey, if you visit Cap'n Eddie Castelin's site and look around, you will find a set of patterns to make them off of.
    Len

Capt Eddie's Blackhawk does not set the platform angle, just the pocket for the jig.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Marc is correct in that they are really easy to make. This is a link http://www.aggieturner.com/quick%20s...%20systems.pdf to a PDF that describes how to make them for either Wolverine or Tormek systems. I did this style because it lets me quickly make one for each tool, regardless of the grind. The only constraints are keeping the jig angle constant (see the reference to Doug Thompsons setup in the third paragraph) and the tool exposure constant, which most everyone does anyway. The advantage is that you can set up the jig to wheel spacing to sharpen any tool in just a few seconds and get back to turning.
    Way south of most everybody...

I bought the full set of Raptors and they come in very handy when setting up to do my tool sharpening. I like it because my grinds stay consistent.
    Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

Not My Idea

This is not my idea. Got it from another woodturning forum. Don't remember which one. Don't remember the name of the poster or I would give him credit here.

If you are using the Wolverine sharpening system and a CBN wheel (or equal), try using some PVC sleeves on the vee-arm shaft to set the location of the vee-arm. See attached photos. Cut the PVC sleeve to set the location of the vee-arm relative to the base. This will also set the location of the vee-arm relative to the grinding wheel. Label the PVC sleeve with the grind angle and/or name of the tool. I have a hand full of these PVC sleeves that I use for setting up the Wolverine system for grinding spindle gouges, bowl gouges and detail gouges. Have tried other jigs/systems. None match the reproducibility of the PVC sleeves. Keep in mind that this approach only works with constant diameter grinding wheels (CBN or equal).

Don't forget that the angle of the leg on the vari-grind jig must be reproducible in order to achieve consistent bevels on tools. - John
    Attached Images Attached Images

On the sharpening video I have up of my friend Larry Karlin, he uses small pieces of angle aluminum to slip in on the bar for a spacer. He commented to me that the Raptor tools looked really good hanging on the wall. This was before he had CBN wheels and a robo rest. With the CBN wheels, you don't need the jigs, just spacers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdZ4iDyPhWo

robo hippy

Along the lines of what John King stated, I have simply taken an awl and scribed marks on the Wolverine arm for the three different angles I use. I do have a CBN wheel.

I have 1/2 inch dowels cut to length for each tool I'll sharpen. I just loosen the V arm, slip the dowel alongside and then slide the V arm in until it butts the dowel. Takes a couple of seconds and is positive. I use CBN wheels. I like gadgets but keep them simple