Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a new SCMS, 10" or 12"?

Blog Entries
    A 10" slider will cut most of what you need laying flat, the bigger issue is cutting nominal 6" trim that is standing up against the fence. Personally I would get a non-slider in 12" size, they don't take up nearly as much room and will cut a 5.5" board at 45 degrees. That being said, I have a 10" Milwaukee non-slider straight MS, no bevel capacity. Don't know if anyone sells a saw anymore without beveling features.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    A 10" slider will cut most of what you need laying flat, the bigger issue is cutting nominal 6" trim that is standing up against the fence. Personally I would get a non-slider in 12" size, they don't take up nearly as much room and will cut a 5.5" board at 45 degrees. That being said, I have a 10" Milwaukee non-slider straight MS, no bevel capacity. Don't know if anyone sells a saw anymore without beveling features.
    +1 If space is an issue, a slider requires a much larger footprint and is harder to move around. A 12" non-slider will handle most cuts. When I was looking, the Hitachi slider had the smallest footprint but weighed over 70 lbs. The Bosch glide came out after I made my purchase but is very expensive.

I have both in both Hitachi and Makita. I use the 10" saw more for finish work as the cut is better with less wood stress induced blade deflection. I usually have a 10" & 12" slide on the job but my favorite is my old delta cast iron 10" saws. Most accurate chop saw outside of something like an Omga.

But if I could only have one......... Probably the 10 inch Makita slide.

Larry

4. I have the Milwaukee 12" Dual-Bevel Compound Miter Saw and couldn't be happier. Have been installing several hardwood floors at a 45 recently, so it has gotten a lot of use. Also, like mentioned before, the 12" has the advantage of larger cuts. I haven't priced one recently, and it's probably pushing your budget, but personally I think it would be worth the investment.....

Doug, I have the same saw and have had a hard time getting the 90 degree cut very precise (the bevel, not miter), have you ever tried to cut very thick materials with it? I have changed blades and it's not the blade I think.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    For trim work and small parts fitting I'd go 10". SCMS are not the most precise machines on the planet and a larger blade magnifies the runout and wobble. If you need the DOC you go larger but if not, smaller is better. Dave
    When I need ultimate precision, my go to is my non bevel Milwaukee 10". No wobble, even while plunging.
    Gotta remember that sliders come from the side and won't wobble as much as a plunge into the something hard like the face of maple crown.
    12" non sliders are at the bottom when it comes to precision. My DeWalt has been relegated to cutting scrap.

I went to a 12" because I didn't have enough cut width with a 10". And sometimes, the 12" is not enough. I'll probably replace the 12" with a good 10" slider - I may even spring for a Kapex.

I went with a 12" instead of a slider because I didn't have enough room behind the saw for a slider. But I'm in a new shop now and have the room.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My vote is 12" too! I use my Dewalt 12" slider all the time, its been great. I have it on a mobile stand from Home Depot and the stand is worth getting.

With a slider, the 10" will likely do a fine job for the majority of cutting folks do because the blade doesn't limit the width like it does on a non-slider. 12" on a slider provides additional depth of cut, however, so if one works a lot with "really thick" material, that extra inch of depth can come in handy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...