Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new SCMS, 10" or 12"?

Buying a new SCMS, 10" or 12"?

My old Delta Sawbuck gave up the ghost recently so I'm shopping for a new SCMS. Can someone tell me the advantage of the 12" models over a 10"? It will be used primarily as a stationary tool with the very occasional trip to the house to do something. Budget as always is a concern and I am probably at about $450 max so I'm in the neighborhood of a 10" Dewalt or a 12" Rigid. So any advice there will be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Hal

I have a 10" and find that it is just not big enough for a lot of the cuts I need to make.

So in my book a 12" would be much better, I don't know how much more cut you can get but with my 10" it is always just not enough.

Look for a used one. Get a 12". Bigger is better as you'll get a more depth in a cut and a longer slide. Comb your local pawn shops and craigslist.
    -Lud

I would save up if you can and get a Bosch glide for a stationary saw. Increased cut capacity at the expense of a little more flexure and potential blade issues are the only real issues with the 12". Ltitle bit rough but the ability to do larger dados does come in handy on occasion.

You may also want to check out the Hitachi-C12LSH-12. I coveted the Bosch GCM12SD, bu t at $700+ it's too much money. I've owned the Hitachi for just over a year now and am very happy with it. I find it extremely accurate and easy to change settings.Once you get past the styling, it's a beast. I've only had to take it to a site twice, and if I had to move it more often I'd get something else.

The 12" capacity virtually guarantees you will be able to cut anything that comes home from the mill or off your table saw. If you've got the space, you will never regret the added capacity.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

I purchased a 12" DeWalt slider in 2000 and it still works well for me. If I need to replace it I think a 10" would suit me well also. I make small artsy crafty things now but I bought the 12" when I was building decks. A 12" saw sure takes up a lot of shop space behind it.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

What are you trying to do with it? This will affect your need for capacity and also what else is important to you.

12" is a more expensive for the saw itself and any blades you end up getting. Size/weight are also a factor if you need portable or are space constrained in your shop (the Sawbuck is a pretty compact unit). Consensus seemed to be that 12" saws allow more flex than 10", and a slider allowed more play than a non-slider.

I noticed that some 10" saws had better cut capacities than others--with some allowing to miter pretty tall base up against the fence. But if you're going through wide/thick chunks, the 12" would almost always be the better choice.

Note that DeWalt offers a shadow cut-indicator system, rather than the usual laser marker. Reportedly works pretty well.

(I ended up getting the 10" makita slider; works pretty well)

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    What are you trying to do with it? This will affect your need for capacity and also what else is important to you.

12" is a more expensive for the saw itself and any blades you end up getting. Size/weight are also a factor if you need portable or are space constrained in your shop (the Sawbuck is a pretty compact unit). Consensus seemed to be that 12" saws allow more flex than 10", and a slider allowed more play than a non-slider.

I noticed that some 10" saws had better cut capacities than others--with some allowing to miter pretty tall base up against the fence. But if you're going through wide/thick chunks, the 12" would almost always be the better choice.

Note that DeWalt offers a shadow cut-indicator system, rather than the usual laser marker. Reportedly works pretty well.

(I ended up getting the 10" makita slider; works pretty well)

Matt
    Good question, I should have been more thorough in my op. I will use it primarily cutting 1" stock, sometimes 2". I just do this as a hobby and will build anything from a small box to a piece of furniture. I really wouldn't say the sawbuck is a compact unit with the table rotating as it does but space is really not too much of concern. I will likely build a dedicated miter station.
    I too have noticed that the 10" dewalt has a 14" crosscut capacity vs 12.5" with the Rigid 12" saw I looked at. My Sawbuck would cross cut 15" I believe but not more than 2" thick. The 10" Dewalt is at the upper limit of my budget but kinda leaning toward that one for now.
    Thanks to all so far for the advice

For trim work and small parts fitting I'd go 10". SCMS are not the most precise machines on the planet and a larger blade magnifies the runout and wobble. If you need the DOC you go larger but if not, smaller is better. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I have a 10" and find that it is just not big enough for a lot of the cuts I need to make.

So in my book a 12" would be much better, I don't know how much more cut you can get but with my 10" it is always just not enough.
    +1. If you'd ever tried to do 4" baseboard or 5 ¼" crown molding on most 10" miter saws you wouldn't even ask.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

The 12" Dewalt DWS782 is $399 at HD and Amazon. Not the best saw for heavy use, but for light use will do the trick.

I played with the Hitachi-C12LSH-12 and DeWalt DWS782 side-by-side and found the Hitachi better suited my needs and felt much more solid than the DeWalt.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

There are advantages/disadvantages to each. If you need to cut very thick stuff or doing wide crowns then 12" SCMS is better. I have a 12" Milwaukee that is good. However, with 12" blade you get more deflection especially in bevel cuts and especially if you are trying to trim a small amount. I'd pick a 10" SCMS over a 12" non scrolling one to have larger width capacity.

Even though I don't use my miter saw for any super precise work in the shop, I do find that the additional cut width of my 12" blade really comes in handy for breaking down boards and even then I occasionally have to flip something over to complete the cut. (Mine is not a sliding miter saw so the blade width is everything when it comes to capacity) But I agree with the advise that what you get should match your intended use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the 12" Ridgid sliding miter saw. It is dead on accurate. Cuts are smooth as glass with the stock blade.
    I like the huge table on the Ridgid saw too.
    Noticed Home Depot has it on sale right now for $399. A lot of saw for the money IMHO.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale