Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

20 Oct 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
    I hope this finds you healthy and comfortable. Been a hard couple of weeks for me and my family and I won't go into details here. The good news in my mind is that my youngest son has asked me about teaching him how to turn wood. If all goes well, we should be able to start out next week sometime on getting his feet wet in turning wood.

I need to get the shop cleaned up again and I need to finish a couple of things on my construction project as well. Just been real busy with the day job and family issues.

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I hosted a band saw seminar at Felder Ontario and glued up a change table for a friend of my daughter......Rod.

All I did this weekend was make cutting boards, it is kind of getting to the point I am tired of making them but I like the money so I just keep making them.

I have one more to do today and then that is it for awhile.

I did get a new Gateway and DVR from At&T Uverse, had been having a little problem with them.

Working on new shop as always these days. Put in 1.5" Mesh chair risers under my mesh to hold up the 1/2" PEX and make it a consistent height in the floor. This mesh/PEX is on top of 1.5" extruded polystyrene and a 10mil poly moisture barrier. Then Saturday we poured a 5" concrete floor. Building is 40X64X16.

Also made a Longworth chuck on the CNC router on Saturday for a customer.

Also picked up 500 of my 1600 sheets of 3/4" 48"X32" 7-ply marine grade sanded one side ply. Getting another load tonight. I stack on pallets and each pallet of 40 sheets is 1000lbs.

Definitely a negative cash flow shop weekend lol.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Actually got a lot of shop time in this weekend. Milled parts for a dresser and nightstand I am building to go with bed I made last year. Starting using my shaper to do some of the milling and what a difference over using a router table. Spent more time than I wanted trying to overcome upgrading two of my apple devices to IOS 8.02. What a nightmare!

Didn't get any woodworking in this weekend for a variety of reasons, including taking our older daughter to an open house at the local community college and my normal equestrian activities. Perhaps next weekend!

-----

Mike that's going to be an amazing space!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-20-2014 at 5:25 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Friday LOML saw Massive Attack at the SB Bowl. Saturday, we flew off to Japan. Tomorrow we will head to the West side of Honshu to Kanazawa. We have set up some classes out there... Looking forward to something different. I saw a little stool that I like. When I get back, I may make a similar piece.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Filled up my first bag of wood chips with the dust collector! Milled kiln dried 2x4s for a simple bench/assembly/outfeed table (re: FWW - Still don't have a workbench?). Cut all of the pieces to rough size and glued the leg sections together. Then I officially unwrapped and christened a new Oshlun 8" stacked dado set, cutting the grooves for the threaded truss rods that'll hold everything together (since it's only douglas fir and not a solid/stable hardwood, I don't trust that it won't warp or twist over time without some form of mechanical bracing). Before I can assemble the whole thing, I still need to drill holes for alignment pins (3/8" dowels) and the truss rods, but will wait till I've set up my still-in-the-box drill press (Grizzly G7943 bench model). So, the LOML and I went to see Fury--an overall good (not great IMHO) WWII flick.

Made a jack plane this weekend to round out my pile of shop made double iron planes (apologies to the guys who are tired of hearing about planes in the HT section already!!). I didn't clean up the fuzzy bits still hanging on it or put any finish on it until last night, it looks a bit better now.

And ran the kids to the pumpkin patch among other things this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Extended Jointer tables

Ever since I got my Rikon 10" jointer/planer, I've been complaining that the combined table length is only 44"... (well, ONE of the many other complaints, but that's another story). So decided to extend them with some phenolic plywood I had laying around. This is the result:

1.jpg 2.jpg

Cutout for the infeed table height adjustment handle:
    3.jpg

Aluminum angles hold things together:

4.jpg

Got about 86" overall length now.
    Last edited by George Gyulatyan; 10-21-2014 at 6:38 PM.