I would definitely say the wooden planes, all of them, present a little more in terms of setup and maintenance than metal planes. the speed is in the actual cut, and hopefully the speed and lack of metal bearing on a wood surface will return enough in economy of effort to make up for it.

if i gave my planes, the ones that I just made that are all very tight, to someone who didn't know how to use a double iron, they'd be frustrated anywhere they didn't have a good downgrain bit to plane. I know that because the first wooden planes I got were common pitch double irons and I was convinced that they were only capable of coarse work.

So hopefully nobody will take from my comments that the woodies are quite as easy to set up and maintain - I don't think they are. Careful orientation of the wood (and use from the same stick) should limit down the road trouble for things that I've seen as problems in more cheaply made planes - things like wedge fingers not being oriented the same as the plane body and shrinking more into the plane. But that stuff is pretty esoteric. I have an old plane from the 1830s with the original wedge that fits perfectly without every trimming - and it is a testament to to getting the wedge to match the plane body.