Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knowing what you know now about Lasers...

One thing I am sure of, it's a hard choice and no matter what you do you will make the wrong decision when a job comes up that needs , more power / more speed / a bigger bed / better purchase price / better support /

It's a case of narrowing down what you want to do, what you plan on doing Vs what you want to spend / what you need to spend

The second job you get in will be too big for your chosen bed size, the third job will run slowly because you could do with another 100 watts or so etc etc

Engraving on organics, get either one of the three Western mades or an RF Galvo from China (depending on size of the individual parts)

Cutting on organics, go for a Chinese machine with an uber tube from one of the better manufacturers like HX or Weike

Cutting metals, get a US supplied oxygen assisted machine (either Chinese made or western) (DON'T buy a Chinese metal cutter that uses oxygen as an import, they are close to bombs!)

No one machine does everything, even the true industrial monsters have limitations on what they can do even at the $2,500,000+ price point.

From what you have mentioned though I'd go with a Trotech or other western made machine like an Epilog. Having had 4 I'm not a huge fan of the ULS machines

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Thanks for all the great answers! Scott, thanks for the offer. Honestly, I'm a member of a few forums and this one is the top for help, hands down. Keith, if you have a number for Don Mayhew, I'd love to have it, thanks. Thanks to all, now to demo some machines.

Don doesn't handle NC any longer, I don't think. There's a rep named Tracy Tome in Wake Forest, NC that handles that area now. He's a very nice guy and I'm sure he'd be happy to demo anything for you.

Dave, what model ULS did you have last, that you didn't like? I love our Universal. I think it's a great machine. Just not the fastest thing on the planet, but I think their driver is outstanding.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Phillips View Post
    Ross, I'm sure you know that the Rayjet is built by Trotec as their entry level laser and as such has some stripped down features, have you also looked at the entry level ULS Versalaser or the Epilog Zing? Also, GCC LaserPro have some good machines, I don't know what their entry level machines are like though, maybe someone with a C180 or Venus II can chime in with their thoughts. Just a thought, but I wonder if the Rayjet software can be upgraded to the features you want, for the extra cost of course.
    I wouldn't call the Rayjet 300 anymore of an entry level machine than I would the Epilog Helix. The Rayjet is actually a bigger and better built machine, which is why I rated it second in quality.

The issue I have is their driver lacks just a couple of options. All the other machines have all the options I'd consider required to running my business.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I'm just curious-- do you already HAVE a gift business and you're looking to augment sales via laser engraving?
    or
    Are you already selling laser engraved items you're having done somewhere else and are ready to "move up"?
    or
    Are starting this business from scratch?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    I wouldn't call the Rayjet 300 anymore of an entry level machine than I would the Epilog Helix. The Rayjet is actually a bigger and better built machine, which is why I rated it second in quality.

The issue I have is their driver lacks just a couple of options. All the other machines have all the options I'd consider required to running my business.
    My perception of the Rayjet was that it was a "Zing" "Versalaser" competitor. But somewhere along the line, Universal took their desktop, stripped down model machine, made it robust and kept the name the same, and Rayjet did the same. What I thought used to be a little bitty table top machine is now basically the same chassis as the Speedy 300, without some of the bells and whistles.

I'm not a fan of that "Commander" software either Ross. I guess if you are new to lasers and don't want to do much tweaking, it's great. It's very much push a couple buttons and engrave. It wouldn't work for us at all, but I guess for some people, it fits the bill.

I also agree, the Rayjet is competing with the Helix, not the Zing.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

As I've said, I really have looked at the major three and I feel very comfortable in my rankings on page 1.

I honestly had the Rayjet at the top of my list knowing the software was basic. I was hoping for Epilog basic but it's a few features short of that even. Note when I talk about the Epilog, it's the current print driver not their new job manager. That should make it pretty even with Trotec and ULS.

I would not over look GCC laser pro..I have had a mercury for 4 years and when I upgrade I will be going with GCC again.Great tec support .Jorlink is in greensboro NC.
    might be worth looking into.
    Machenzie is my rep there .Allways Quick to answer questions.
    GCC new mercury II 40 watt
    Corel Draw x5 suite
    All kinds of woodworking/construction junk

VLS 4.60 and 2 x 3.60's Scotty, the work I do requires brutal machines rather than refined so the ULS just always seemed a little less than it really should have been. I don't do any rotary work on the smaller machines so it may well have excelled at stuff like that.
    Software wise I don't really rely on machine specific software with most of my stuff being done with Solidworks and AutoCAD , the only exception being the Mitsu with it's all in one package that has nesting functions and edge detection etc, for me the software is just a transport method to get the job into the machines memory.As most of the stuff I do is day to week+ running jobs the need for a nice interface and job management isn't high on my list.
    A couple of my guys loved working on the ULS machines, I just couldn't take to them myself. They seem to make a lot of claims then fall short on delivery at that price point

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Bob,

All of the above messages have tremendous merit. My sales rep has been there for me after hours and on the weekends. He even came out on a Saturday to change a bad laser tube 6 hours before he had to catch a flight to another trade show. I just feel that he is an exceptional individual that really cares about his customers.

Tech support will be your friend in many situations, be it a broken part or during your learning curve. Your sales rep has to make a living and selling machines is how they do it.

All three manufacturers mentioned have unique qualities.

I have a Rayjet 300, 80 watts of power and it has been a work horse. In 28 months, it has been down for two days and it runs 40 hours a week plus some times on the weekends. I am going to a trade show in Las Vegas this weekend to look at the Speedy 400.

Purchase the largest machine with the most power you can afford. Keep your machine clean, vacuum the table area every day. Keep the mirrors and lens clean on a daily basis. I remove the side doors of my machine every Saturday and clean with an air compressor to remove small foreign matter.

Best of luck to you in your new venture. This forum will be of tremendous value to you. The people here have great knowledge and are more than willing to share.

Robert Tepper
    Robert Tepper
    Trotec Rayjet 300/80 Watt
    Dahlgren 500 Engraving Machine, CNC Engraving Machine
    Pad printer with 5 3/4 x 5 3/4" print area
    Jackson Vulcanizers, 15 x 24", three total
    Hegner Scroll Saws, 14", three total

Purchase the largest machine with the most power you can afford. Keep your machine clean, vacuum the table area every day. Keep the mirrors and lens clean on a daily basis. I remove the side doors of my machine every Saturday and clean with an air compressor to remove small foreign matter.
    excellent advice Bob, so much so it was worth repeating. Lasers are like Ladies, treat them with respect and you will have a lifetime of happiness, treat them badly and they will leave when you need them most

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Lasers are like Ladies, treat them with respect and you will have a lifetime of happiness, treat them badly and they will leave when you need them most
    Wait.......they'll leave at dinner time?

trust me brother, if you can't smell smoke it's salad in our house
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Dave,

Salad shouldn't smoke?

Darn!!
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.