Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance supplies?

Maintenance supplies?

Wondering what I need to pick up for maintenance of the laser.

Optics need to be cleaned daily, right? I know I'll need supplies to do that, but otherwise - anything else I should pick up?

Thanks!

One other question, most of the masking materials say they can't be used on unsealed wood (at least from what I can find on Laserbits). Any thoughts on this? What about that liquimask stuff.. is that any good?

Blog Entries
    Jay,

Ray Scott at Rabbit Laser has put up a list of suggested stuff to help you with the use of your laser. You might find that useful. Go to the rabbit laser usa web site and on the home screen look on the left edge for tools-n-supplies.

If you do a search on mask or masking in the forum you will find a bunch of posts on the topic that discuss peoples experiences and techniques. You might find that quite useful as well.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I have a roll of glass masking that I'll never use and a quart of liquid mask that will likely never get used as well. Both seemed like good ideas at the time, but neither has proven very practical. Now for someone-else the opposite may be true.

What I'm getting at is don't rush out to buy every conceivable option/supply. So depending on your machine & where you find your niche, as to what supplies you need. Another example, for masking I love simple blue painters tape. You can buy the "laser" masking tapes, but you may or may not find much difference.

BTW - My laser runs 2-4 hrs - 7 days a week & I clean maybe once every couple months. Again this depends - some materials produce more dust than others. Some machines handle that dust better than others.

FYI to all - PLEASE put your laser info in your signature block. It really helps to get the right advice for your specific needs.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 10-20-2014 at 2:48 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I've never had an issue with masking tape on unfinished wood, just that it doesn't stick as well. As far as cleaning up the residue on finished plaques
    I find that a "Magic Eraser" and Endust works well. I have a small tool box for all the screws and tools I need to work on the laser, that way I'm not running around
    trying to find them.

Not sure what type of laser you have but on my Epilogs I have and encoder strip that needs cleaning from time to time (Water and Q-Tips) On my x-axis motor about
    twice a year I clean the gear. (Tooth picks or straight pins.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Jay,

Ray Scott at Rabbit Laser has put up a list of suggested stuff to help you with the use of your laser. You might find that useful. Go to the rabbit laser usa web site and on the home screen look on the left edge for tools-n-supplies.

If you do a search on mask or masking in the forum you will find a bunch of posts on the topic that discuss peoples experiences and techniques. You might find that quite useful as well.

Dave
    Thanks David! This is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Selway View Post
    Wondering what I need to pick up for maintenance of the laser.

Optics need to be cleaned daily, right? I know I'll need supplies to do that, but otherwise - anything else I should pick up?

Thanks!
    Optics shouldn't be need to be cleaned daily unless you are doing hours of very nasty material each day. Its a good idea to inspect them daily, but actually cleaning? Prob. wont be mandatory. Your application may prove me wrong though.

Buy a box of Ziess lens cleaning wipes at the Wal-mart or Sams club eye center. They are perfect.

Also, a bottle of scrubbin bubbles to remove wood resin if you are cutting wood.
    Universal Laser Systems VLS 3.50

Your machine will come with lens cleaning supplies.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Right at the top of my supplies list is a big bottle of Everclear. It cleans almost anything, just put a little on a soft rag and then take a big swig to help with quality control.
    Pete James
    Awardmasters
    40W G Weike

A good powerful shop vac is a must.

Robert
    Robert Tepper
    Trotec Rayjet 300/80 Watt
    Dahlgren 500 Engraving Machine, CNC Engraving Machine
    Pad printer with 5 3/4 x 5 3/4" print area
    Jackson Vulcanizers, 15 x 24", three total
    Hegner Scroll Saws, 14", three total

Blog Entries
    And don't forget some good fruit punch to help you use up any excess Everclear before it goes bad! <grin>

A small water sprayer to knock out small flare ups, and a fire extinguisher for full on fires. There have been some really good threads on the topic of fire extinguishers by the way.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    I have a roll of glass masking that I'll never use and a quart of liquid mask that will likely never get used as well. Both seemed like good ideas at the time, but neither has proven very practical. Now for someone-else the opposite may be true.

What I'm getting at is don't rush out to buy every conceivable option/supply. So depending on your machine & where you find your niche, as to what supplies you need. Another example, for masking I love simple blue painters tape. You can buy the "laser" masking tapes, but you may or may not find much difference.

BTW - My laser runs 2-4 hrs - 7 days a week & I clean maybe once every couple months. Again this depends - some materials produce more dust than others. Some machines handle that dust better than others.

FYI to all - PLEASE put your laser info in your signature block. It really helps to get the right advice for your specific needs.
    Thanks for the heads up. I don't have a laser yet, but I suppose I could put the 'incoming' laser in there... Thanks.

Thanks everyone. I'm amazed by how helpful you all have been.

Trying to get the final details all in order, get some contracts signed for the space, and then make the purchase. Hoping to have everything set up and firing the laser by January 1st. This would not have been possible without the incredible helpfulness of the members of SMC.

Thanks!!
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

Jay,

Clean the lens/mirrors with a solution applicable to the item you cut, for plastics use a solvent such as IPA (NOT acetone), for MDF or LaserPLY use de-ionised water.

Avoid cleaning solutions of other types as the lens's have AR coatings that can be damaged if you use the wrong stuff.

IPA will NOT properly clean the residue from MDF, you need to use the solvent that the material is based on (in the case of MDF the glue is water based so use water to clean it etc)

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Dave,

I am also looking to start building up my laser tools and supplies so:

For plastics use a solvent such as IPA - i assume IPA stand for Isopropyl Alcohol.
    For MDF or LaserPLY use de-ionised water.

Is it all 'created equal' and can be bought from eBay or do you have a prefered supplier (if you tell him that you are recomending him he may give you a discount on the stuff you buy)?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Jay,

Clean the lens/mirrors with a solution applicable to the item you cut, for plastics use a solvent such as IPA (NOT acetone), for MDF or LaserPLY use de-ionised water.

Avoid cleaning solutions of other types as the lens's have AR coatings that can be damaged if you use the wrong stuff.

IPA will NOT properly clean the residue from MDF, you need to use the solvent that the material is based on (in the case of MDF the glue is water based so use water to clean it etc)

cheers

Dave
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7